Engine mounts question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Engine mounts question

Post by shipwrecked »

My engine has been on the rubber round disk insulators for a year with a bolt snugged to one chuggachugga when I put it in so I could move,

Reading the book, it says to torque them down depending on the bolt sizes. IT listed a few possible sizes of bolts but what I ended up getting we’re 7/16-14 x4 (have 5’s as well if I needed them).

When tightening the bushing, it is squishing the bottom one almost flat. Is this right? When from a 1” thick disk to a donut look. :?:
I haven’t even reached the torque spec is was calling for. The top disk is still thick.

In the old set up it had these thing sleeves that went between the rubber disk and stopped the bushing from crushing I think. Been years since I’ve taken it apart and those old ones ended up getting cut out due to seized nut/bolt.

It is bolt thru fat washer, bell housing, disk, crossmember, disk, washer, lock washer, nut.

That right?

I’ll try to get photos to show.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
fire704

Re: Engine mounts question

Post by fire704 »

They need the metal inserts to keep from crushing.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Yup, you need the CRUSH SLEEVES to stop what you've described from happening.

I wouldn't get too concerned with torque specs, but I would probably use nyloc nuts.....

You could probably make some crush sleeves out of 1/2 SS Instrument tube, but you may have to split it to get a 7/16" bolt through it though.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Okay. I thought so but wasn’t sure.

I went to the store and found a short piece of steel I can use. Will do this gig tomorrow after work.

I have a busy week already planned and next week is a leave week where I get to staycation and work on my house and truck.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63