Haven't seen any Slicks at local yards in a while

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

tomsrod
United States of America

Haven't seen any Slicks at local yards in a while

Post by tomsrod »

In the last year or so, I haven't seen but one or two Slicks at our local pick-n-pull yards. In years before, it seemed like there were always one or two at each yard, but no more. Maybe the price of scrap is low, maybe all the nearby Slicks have already been scrapped, I don't know. I go to the yards about once a month looking for parts for my other projects (and to search for Slick parts someone may need) and don't see much in the way of older cars or trucks. Remember, they aren't making them any more, save your parts!
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Haven't seen any Slicks at local yards in a while

Post by slick4x4 »

Price of scrap is low

A few years ago it was at an all time high
Lots of old iron pulled out of places & crushed cry.gif
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Pat: Hopefully that means that people are selling them, even if it's as a "project truck", rather than selling them to the scrappers by the pound!!

James
tomsrod wrote:In the last year or so, I haven't seen but one or two Slicks at our local pick-n-pull yards. In years before, it seemed like there were always one or two at each yard, but no more. Maybe the price of scrap is low, maybe all the nearby Slicks have already been scrapped, I don't know. I go to the yards about once a month looking for parts for my other projects (and to search for Slick parts someone may need) and don't see much in the way of older cars or trucks. Remember, they aren't making them any more, save your parts!
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

When they were worth between 500 and 1,000 they were scrapped, now some parts are going for that.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

And after Pick-N-Pull opened in KC,every small operation in town vanished within three years.....wonder how much they paid the city councilmen involved.....nothing but bare ground left.....
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

I've noticed that as well. Even stuff from the 1980s is not as common.

I imagine, too, that those types of yards have the business part figured out and unfortunately for us, old stuff just isn't as profitable as newer stuff, when most people are trying to keep something newer on the road.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

What if... tin foil hat time.... the car companies are paying these operations to crush these cars, they close up the source and sell us pickup trucks for 50k that break down before they are paid off... :shock:
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

here is the problem and a lot of people have done it to them,, People go to a smaller yard and gives the owner grief/bitch about prices/We don't let nobody run the yard or why is it with so many rules etc... LQK And some of the Pick-N-Pull got greedy and want to own all of the yards and run the smaller ones out of business. Those yards don't give a darn about anything but money,, lot of those yards have a set price at the insurance auctions on what they will pay for a vehicle so say a yard here is locally has a standard bid for all vehicles of 200.00 no matter the condition so that's one problem.. Few years ago in Calif. the state put a bounty on all vehicles that the state was going to pay 1000.00 for all vehicles 1980 running/non-running older and then they had to be crushed.. Went to a special section to be crushed.. I saw a lot of older trucks being flattened ,, THEN WE HAD THAT Idiot of a President did the Cars for Clunkers so many yards Crushed every vehicle to make room for the cash for clunkers no matter what kind of vehicle it was, so then they had to crush those cars by the Govt. orders, After doing that then all the older stuff is gone and by older I mean like 86 and down and some places not even nothing older than 1997
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

My brother in law in CA told me a story... he knew a guy that inherited
A Cadillac car from his grandmothers estate
Yep .. an older 70s car that had less than a 100k miles
In Garage And body in perfect shape ...

You know where this is going....

Drove it right down to the crusher
Because who in their right mind would want this old boat ?
Got a $1000 from the state for it :cussing:
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Yes Pat,, that's the truth,, back then I saw so many trucks from 1957 to 1979 sitting in a special area that where going straight to the crusher < NOT TO BE TOUCHED BY ANY >,, these trucks where either towed in or drove in,, when out there so many approached us after bringing their truck and wished we got it first to help save it/parts,, just one place we saw 6 61/66 trucks that where very clean and going to the crusher,, that's just in Calif. +++ add Cash For Clunkers ==== less trucks
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

I consider myself fortunate. Most of the junkyards I frequent have several slicks. One yard has probably 20. The hardest to find are Unibodys. I only know of 2 in my neck of the woods.
Every day above ground is a good one