1965 F100 Front Bed Panel Style Side

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Fredsf100

1965 F100 Front Bed Panel Style Side

Post by Fredsf100 »

Alright guys, needing some help. I’m looking for a front bed panel for my 1965 F100. I got to replace the floor in the bed and figure maybe someone reproduces the front panel also. Does anyone know of a company that makes the front panel? I know I can cut it out of another bed but trying to eliminate some work. Just checking to see if anyone knows if there is some company that produces the front bed panel. I'll continue to call around and look in salvage yards but was hoping that maybe someone could shed some light on this subject.
ratrapp

Re: 1965 F100 Front Bed Panel Style Side

Post by ratrapp »

I would gladly buy one too if it was available.i've looked everywhere and have yet to find one.i've got a perfectly good longbed that I've been putting off hacking up just to get the front panel off of it.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

For anyone not on the FB group, someone posted this link over there:

https://www.carolina-classics.com/carol ... er=product
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I talked to Rick yesterday about his bed panels and he has already sold his first run, and will get his second run in sometime after Christmas.
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Well, it's always good to see the aftermarket make more items for the Slicks, but is it just me, or does that seem like alotta $$??

James
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

yeah,i think i'll cut up my longbed panel first.if you can afford it that's great but maybe the price will come down eventually if they sell good.
Fredsf100

Post by Fredsf100 »

I also posted this on Slick 60'a FB page and someone else had mention Carolina Classics had them. I'm not that far away from Durham, so maybe I'll stop by there one afternoon and talk with them.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Rick is good guy and knows our trucks. Don't forget the front bed panel comes with the front cross member also. Price is not so bad, if you think about what it costs to do the dies and have these made. I will say this is a limited production item so price will be what it is now and possibly more later, depending on how long it takes to recover costs. Think about this guys, Labor involved in replacing the front panel plus the cost of taking a good bed apart to use some parts, and even then there will be rust on a used part. I have a panel I have straightened ( hours of labor and materials used), and I still have pitting on the lower part that will eventually rust out if not kept inside. I only wish he made a good a bed floor to go with the front panel, and yes I know, I would have nearly 2K in the two parts before restoring the bed otherwise, but I would have a nearly new bed with straight floors. If, you have tried to straighten a bed floor, you know how impossible it seems to be, and nearly is. If, you don't have the bucks, then you have no choice, and good luck to you. It is after all a labor of love to restore one of these trucks. What is key here is that this panel is made here not in China as some parts are. Incidentally, look for those parts to go up in price in the future, just watch the news. If, in the future Rick buys a bigger press, then he may be able to cut costs a little, but don't count on it, he would still have to pay for the press and have a place to house it. It's always easier to criticize prices when it's not your money being spent on a gamble. At a guess, I'm going to say Rick has an outlay of 50 to 100K before seeing a dime in return. Sure, I would like to see those panels being made for 150$, and I would also like to see new trucks selling for 2300$, and my wages stay high, and not the 1.25$ I was making in 1964. How many of these can I afford? Not many I assure you, but I am going to try and figure out a way to buy 2, and to do that I will try and meet at a swap meet and pick these up, to save cost of shipping. It still will not be free, but I will get to go to a swap meet and save cost of shipping which hopefully going will not cost more than shipping. If, you want one, I suggest you get together with others of like mind going the right direction at the right time to save money.
Fredsf100

Post by Fredsf100 »

I just wanted to tell this group that I found out some great information today. Some of you may remember this thread I started a couple weeks ago.
Fredsf100 wrote:Alright guys, needing some help. I’m looking for a front bed panel for my 1965 F100. I got to replace the floor in the bed and figure maybe someone reproduces the front panel also. Does anyone know of a company that makes the front panel? I know I can cut it out of another bed but trying to eliminate some work. Just checking to see if anyone knows if there is some company that produces the front bed panel. I'll continue to call around and look in salvage yards but was hoping that maybe someone could shed some light on this subject.
Well this morning I made time and called Carolina Classics F100's in Durham, NC to find out if it was true that they were making the front bed panel. I talked to Rick and he told me it was true that he makes the front panel. Come to find out that he is also the sole producer of the complete body side moldings, make cab mounts, and floor pans, and lower door pillars for 1961-66. Anyways. luckily he had one of the front bed panels in stock and told me to drive over and he'd show me on a demo bed what it looks like. So, this evening I went by to see what it looked like, and took several pictures in case anybody else wanted to see. After, being there and talking with Rick for a while I realized Rick is good guy and knows our trucks and wants to produce the best products he can for our trucks. These panels are made just like anything thing else he make, TOP OF THE LINE, and produced in the USA.

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Fredsf100 wrote:I just wanted to tell this group that I found out some great information today. Some of you may remember this thread I started a couple weeks ago.
Fredsf100 wrote:Alright guys, needing some help. I’m looking for a front bed panel for my 1965 F100. I got to replace the floor in the bed and figure maybe someone reproduces the front panel also. Does anyone know of a company that makes the front panel? I know I can cut it out of another bed but trying to eliminate some work. Just checking to see if anyone knows if there is some company that produces the front bed panel. I'll continue to call around and look in salvage yards but was hoping that maybe someone could shed some light on this subject.
Well this morning I made time and called Carolina Classics F100's in Durham, NC to find out if it was true that they were making the front bed panel. I talked to Rick and he told me it was true that he makes the front panel. Come to find out that he is also the sole producer of the complete body side moldings, make cab mounts, and floor pans, and lower door pillars for 1961-66. Anyways. luckily he had one of the front bed panels in stock and told me to drive over and he'd show me on a demo bed what it looks like. So, this evening I went by to see what it looked like, and took several pictures in case anybody else wanted to see. After, being there and talking with Rick for a while I realized Rick is good guy and knows our trucks and wants to produce the best products he can for our trucks. These panels are made just like anything thing else he make, TOP OF THE LINE, and produced in the USA.

Last year I spoke with him on another part and got the bed and molding spill also. He mentioned making the first few inches of the bed floor. Seemed it was in the 12" neighborhood. He mentioned a large investment for the complete floor and seemed open down the road on making it if he sees a return on his current products.

I think $750 for a weld in piece that will likely last another 50 years is a heck of a deal.
Chris
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

it shows out of stock on them right now.i might would buy it if I knew when it becomes available again.