Hexenschuss

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

oldsmiley
United States of America

Re: Hexenschuss

Post by oldsmiley »

I haven't seen the progress that you've made on your truck in a good while. I'm with you on the FLAT paint. I just ordered mine from TCP Global in California. They are matching my original color (Skylight Blue) perfectly.

I figure at my age, I'll wash it and keep it clean, but my waxing days are over.

You've done a great job......
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

I have been slack about posting anything again! Haven't made a lot of progress lately but still ought to post something. I have been working a little on the inner fenders. Had them blasted and powder coated, still need to patch the hole in the right side under the battery tray. Pretty much finished with the radiator support other than spraying epoxy over the places I used some filler on and final paint. I'll paint it and the inner fenders at one time, I hate cleaning a paint gun! After those are done, I need to get the radiator and fan set in position as well as running the hoses. I've been spending too much time trying to come up with a mount for the alternator. It is a swap meet steal, a brand new Powermaster one-wire but of course it is for a GM. It was almost free so I figured I could come up with a way to mount it and I'm to that point now. Just got to make that first cut in some scrap metal that I walk over every day!!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Doug...I appreciate the heads up about the Jefferson cruise-in. If you have the date and time, please shoot that to me...I've been to the one in West Jefferson, where my younger brother lives. It's a small cruise-in held at the Smokey Mountain BBQ place. My wife and I might try to make the one in September.
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Sorry I have been absent so long again. Not a whole lot of progress lately, little things here and there. Did finish the inner fenders and radiator support and got them painted and test fitted. Think I've figured out how to mount the alternator just got to do it.
Yeah Rick, same here on the waxing days being behind me! I never really did alot of it anyway. My daddy sure spent many weekends washing, waxing, detailing everything he owned. Everybody around town still talks about him always having the cleanest cars/trucks. I try to keep things clean but not spotless and this green thing will be the "shop truck" so we'll see how the satin finish works out.
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Ok really not a huge change from some previous photos, but the radiator support and inner fenders are finish painted and they appear to line back up with the fenders. WOO-HOO!!! Small victories for the simple ones on this earth! I also "put" the bumper on and its much worse than I expected. The truck had been hit pretty hard on the left front corner and the bumper was bent when I got the truck. I did straighten the frame end and bumper bracket as best I could but the bumper is even twisted down on the passenger side. I can probably fix it but was hoping to find another one in better shape that has a little character. I DO NOT want to buy a new one because all I've found are chrome. This one will be white if at all possible.

So, Rick, Tom, Kathy, hope y'all are listening, I'm looking for a well used 61-63 front bumper :wink:

Also, I think I have the alternator mount worked out in my head. If I can get my torch to follow along and I get by the bolt place I hope to have this part wrapped up real soon. I'll share photos, I promise, unless no one is interested.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

YES! We're interested....lol....keep the pics and info coming!
1964 F-100
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I LOVE light colors. It seems to be coming along pretty darn well. Might have to ride up
there one day and take some lessons from an EXPERT!
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Looking good . You have a LOT of the little things completed , so i know this will help when it is time for final assembly. As usual, your metalwork is awesome.
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Y'all are using alot of big words for my meager skills. Pictures make lots of things look better than they really are! I did get some parts made for the alternator mount by a friend with a mill, but haven't picked them up yet. Got a few long days coming up at work so not sure when I'll get by to pick them up but I will post some pictures as soon as that all comes together. Probably should go see him today instead of going to the cruise in we have every other Sunday evening but the 65 is running good and she likes to get out every now and then!
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

I forgot to throw this in, but anybody is always welcome to stop by if they're in the Mooresville, NC area!!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Doug....it was great to meet you yesterday at the West Jefferson cruise-in...sorry that we didn't get a chance to talk more, it WAS kind of crazy, lol. The next time that we're in Salisbury visiting family, I will have to drive over to your garage/shop and check out "Hexenschuss" in person. Maybe, also, get by Jeff's and see his "black truck" build too. Take care and be safe!
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Well I've been side-tracked for the last several weeks. I have neglected my Fairlane for quite awhile, other than taking it out every now and then for a run through the country. Replaced the valve stem seals and plugs, points, condenser, etc. Then the fuel pump had mysteriously quit working while the other work was taking place. Took that "opportunity" to redo the pump inlet and outlet lines. Anyway, I did make a little progress yesterday on the truck. And in response to all the requests for updates (that's a little humor!) here are a couple pictures:
I wanted to run a serpentine belt but am too cheap to buy a kit, plus I don't need fancy stuff like power steering or air conditioning, so what to do?? Scratch your head for several days, visit my neighbors salvage yard a few times for research purposes, hold this here and then there until you get a cramp in your arm and drop "this". Change the front cover to use a reverse rotation water pump. Decide that's overly complicated to rig up a tensioner. Replace the standard cover and water pump and think numerous times, this will be too simple so it probably won't work. Then do some measuring, light the torch, make a bracket for the cylinder head, standoff for the bracket, cobble up an adjuster, and as easy as pie, hopefully I have a serpentine drive for Hex.
There is still a spacer in need on the top pivot for the alternator and then clean it up and try to make it look "professional" (paint tends to help this cause) and hope it works :D I haven't started the engine since putting it together so I cannot test my engineering. Going to cut out the motor mounts and redo them hopefully this week, and then I'll pull the engine and get it on the break-in stand and see how far a serpentine belt will fly!!!
Hoping everyone in Slickland is doing well and making it through these crazy times as best you can. If you have the chance smile at someone, it always makes their day better!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

You do good work Doug! That looks like a great set-up. I like the idea for the tensioner for the alternator. On another note...there is another cruise-in in West Jefferson on Saturday the 24th of this month. Keep the pics and updates coming....stay safe!
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

I hope the tensioner is going to work out like I have it working in my head :D
And I plan to be at West Jefferson in a couple weeks, posting a flyer in the events section just in case.

Sorry no updates on the truck. I've been continuing working on the Fairlane between other assignments from the lady of the house. I can finally say I have experienced that old saying, "we lost that race because of a 10 cent part"!! Installed the new fuel pump and tried starting it late Friday. Wouldn't stay running because it was flooding itself. Ok, no biggie, appears the float is stuck so pull the bowl, check the float and needle & seat. No problems were obvious so reset the level and try again. No change, so scratch my head and close up the shop, going to sleep on it. Late Saturday evening pull the bowl again, clean the metering plate and all the air bleeds. For some reason I pull the needle & seat out again and notice the o-ring is quite hard and has become more of a square cut seal. Of course I didn't have any replacements in the spare parts box so rest all day Sunday after church. Monday I stop by our local seal supplier, give him my sample o-ring and purchase 10 o-rings for $1. (Didn't want to get stuck again and I have a Holley on the 65 too) Get home from work, install the new o-ring and all is right once again with my girl!! So one o-ring = 10 cents = happy boy after several unhappy days. Hopefully back on Hex in a few days, our 27th wedding anniversary is Friday so shop will be closed for a few days
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife! 27 years is a great milestone!
Glad that you found the 10 cent problem, lol...that type of stuff can drive your crazy for sure.
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Thank you for the anniversary congratulations. It really is hard to believe we've been together this long. Probably all the time that I spend in the garage has increased our success rate!!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

...also, thanks for the feedback on the T5. Very helpful.
1964 F-100
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Truck is looking good, happy anniversary. I like the serp drive, fits the truck.
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Just an update, not much progress due to other issues over the last couple of months. Plans are to rectify that since this is a new year!! I have been keeping up with all of y'all that have been posting. Its amazing how this forum is still such a family. Wishes to everyone for a safe and healthy 2021!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Still here and tuned in....eagerly watching for updates....
1964 F-100