How to convert the Ford 5.0 EFI harness into a stand alone

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ohmthis
United States of America

How to convert the Ford 5.0 EFI harness into a stand alone

Post by ohmthis »

I have a 66 F100 that I am putting a 86-93 5.0 HO in with the mass air EFI. I balked at paying several hundred for an aftermarket efi harness. I searched hi and low for someone who has converted the factory harness. There is a lot of talk about doing it, but no documentation of said conversion. There is a gentleman on YouTube that seemed to have videos going with the subject, but there wasn’t enough information. I decided to make a series of videos myself going step by step on the conversion. Follow along if you’d like and please leave constructive criticism. Hopefully I’ll be starting the project of getting my truck back on the road. I plan to show it here in the project forum. Mods, if this is in the wrong sub forum please move it. Thanks! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOnvFYTyaQ0
61 Merc
Canada

Re: How to convert the Ford 5.0 EFI harness into a stand alo

Post by 61 Merc »

I have done this myself, make sure you have real good wiring diagrams to follow.

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

Thanks Dean for the reply. I link to a couple of places for drawings and useful information in my descriptions. The fact that Ford changed colors, even mid model year can muddy things up. Knowing which pins the wiring goes is the most important I guess.
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

I'm putting a '92 5.0 and AOD in my truck. Not in the truck yet but I did have the engine running with just the engine harness, computer, and wires just connected to a switch. I used three different diagrams to figure out and confirm which wires are which. Will add relays and fuses when I wire it into the truck.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

Bill, hopefully the videos and drawings will show you what you can remove and what is essential to run. In upcoming videos I will remove more unneeded wiring as well as adding the relays. Hope you watch and get some ideas/ information. Ask away if you need anything.