floor shfter for a 62 Fordomatic

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

63 wrongbed
United States of America

floor shfter for a 62 Fordomatic

Post by 63 wrongbed »

anyone know where I can find one
Thanks James
Anthony
United States of America

Re: floor shfter for a 62 Fordomatic

Post by Anthony »

thought I'd do a little looking.. :) I just sat down and thought this was a good question since I am planning on using an FMX in a later build..... this is what I found..

"Ford-O-Matic was the first automatic transmission widely used by Ford Motor Company.[2] It was designed by the Warner Gear division of Borg Warner Corporation and introduced in 1951 model year cars. In contrast to Detroit Gear Division's three band automatic originally designed for Studebaker which became superseded by this unit, a variation of Warner Gear's three-speed unit named Ford-O-Matic continued to evolve later into Cruise-O-Matic named transmissions in 1958 and finally the FMX[3] named transmissions in 1968."

by the sound of this article I found (although it is wikipedia) you should be able to use a Lokar shifter for the FMX you could talk to them and see but it sounds right in my head.. https://www.summitracing.com/search/pro ... =Ascending

let us know what you find out
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

i changed my 66 from a 4-speed to a C-6 auto. I used a lokar shifter. worked out great after we fabbed up a kick-down cable. make sure that you're trans will fit between the cross member and the floor boards. I cut mine on both sides and put flange plates on so that it's removable and still maintain integrity. first install of the C-6 required removal of the engine .....and THEN put the trans in from the front. then we put the engine back in. I didn't want to have to do that every time i needed to pull the trans for whatever reason. Lokar makes some really nice shifters in lots of different configurations. hope this helps some, Jeff
it's never too late to have a happy childhood

1966 Long Box 5/8 ton wha.gif
2012 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5 TWIN TURBO ......yee haw
2000 Road King
63 wrongbed
United States of America

Post by 63 wrongbed »

I called Lokar they gave me a part #FMS6FMXBM. You were right Anthony. So I am looking at the picture of the shifter on Summit and I don't see how it's gonna mount to the tranny, I don't see any brackets. I gotta call them back and ask.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

that's great.. I think you will find them to be helpful.. keep us up to date on the install of it :thumright:
63 wrongbed
United States of America

Post by 63 wrongbed »

I installed shifter from Lokar, it went ok, pleased with the install. Thanks for all the help much appreciated!!
grump

Post by grump »

I've talked to other people who have mounted the shifter to the tranny and some have wished they had mounted it to the floor. When it's mounted to the tranny it tends to vibrate, sometimes quite a bit. It's a personal thing which way you want to go.
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

my brother is wanting to do the same floor shifter instal on his 64. It has orig engine and auto trans. Do you guys think this would work in it
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision