Self adjusting brakes

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

62bigwindow
United States of America

Self adjusting brakes

Post by 62bigwindow »

Has anyone converted a '61 to self adjusting brakes? Getting ready to dive into my chassis and would like to do this.
Every day above ground is a good one
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Self adjusting brakes

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I did convert my 3/4 ton right after I got it.
Changed from single piston to dual piston wheel cylinders
And ordered a complete self adjuster kit for the right and left front.
The shoes did not have to change, most modern replacement shoes are drilled for self adjusters, needed or not.

All of these parts had to be looked up in a BOOK... Now days most parts stores don't have, much less know how to read one...

Try a napa. Or a mom and pop place where the counter help might understand customer service and how to provide it.

Good luck.

If your patient, you might be able to sift through the Mac's auto parts web site and figure out what parts to order.

Keep in mind most of the parts for self adjustment change length etc. Due to shoe diameter not width. So you may be able to steal all the springs and adjuster parts from a later model kit that is designed for the same diameter. Like a 65 f100...
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Sixfootfour

Post by Sixfootfour »

I have added self adjusting brakes to Ford trucks dating back to 1956. NAPA has the adjuster kits in left and right.
I got a complete spring kit from NAPA as well. I usually look up the part numbers on the web before I go to NAPA,
it saves them time trying to look in those books.
63 Uni
73 Mustang 351C
74 Dodge Charger
76 Granada 2dr
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

Sixfootfour, do you have the part numbers handy for your '63? They should be the same on my '61.
Every day above ground is a good one