Hydroboost on the cheap

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Sportinlife
United States of America

Hydroboost on the cheap

Post by Sportinlife »

Because of anticipated clearance problems on my '62, I would like to install a hydraulic brake booster - you know, the kind that diesels, f350s, or late model Chevys use. I went to the junkyard today and there were several trucks with the booster available. Which booster have you folks used, and what combination of booster, pump, and accumulator has worked? I have the pump on my 93 f150 motor, and am not using power steering.
Thanks a bunch,
Andy
1964 F100 Flareside, "The agricultural sport coupe"
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Hydroboost on the cheap

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I used one from an E450 short bus and a standard Cummins PS pump. If you don't use a PS box, you will have one high pressure line to the booster and two returns to the pump. You can use ANY pump, the higher the pressure/ flow rate, the more sensitive the brake pedal will be. Any pump as long as it has two returns on the tank will work fine. Most metal tanks are easy enough to add a return. Some have used a tee in the return line, but it can cause intermittent weird operation. I could get you picks when I'm near my truck. And can give you details as needed.. :2cents:
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

As for accumulater any modern booster should be fine as the accumulater is part of the booster. The older ones were spring loaded unreliable POS ( I.E. 80's gm diesel). They are color coded to capacity, sorry I'm not sure what was the largest. I think blue large, red small, gold intermediate size. I blew a return off at SS in KC and still had good brakes. PM me with specific questions...
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
Sportinlife
United States of America

Post by Sportinlife »

Excellent! Just what I was looking for. I'll go looking for an f350/450 booster and master cylinder. Will PM you wen I get down to specifics
Thanks again,
Andy
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

It's not the best shot of my set up, but you should be able to see the three hard lines on top of my booster.
Closest to the motor is the high pressure feed in, the middle is return to the tank and the farthest away from the motor is PS box feed or 2nd return...

I've added a willwood adjustiable proportioning valve since I added front disks to the straight axel. My brake light switch is where the red unconnected switch was on the master... Original pedal assembly, drilled for push rod connection. At MC height.

PS.. I put it in the clutch position for extra room. But it should mount either position no problem..
E450 mounting plate is at an odd angle, mod it or make your own. The nut that retains the unit is special, notch a pipe to fit.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Thinking about this as well, because of valve cover clearance with the y block. I am using the hydraulic clutch location for its intended purpose,
there is also an electronic pump I have seen mentioned. I am thinking of losing the power steering portion of my build at some point because I adapted the big four spoke steering wheel and its just too light in the front end on the freeway for me now.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

John,
Did you get the horn ring or center button with that four spoke ?
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

I used hydroboost from mid 90s F450.
A master cylinder from a mid 80s F350 bolts right up.
F450 has disc brakes in the rear.
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
claybreaker 144

Post by claybreaker 144 »

On my 62 Unibody i used a rebuilt hydroboost for a 95 Astro Van,swapped the mounting plate from the OEM master cylinder and bolted on a Right Stuff 1-1/8 bore master cylinder. I have a crown vic swap with a T45 manual transmission. My brake peddle is hard but I am getting no boost assist, with the slightest pressure on the brake the hydroboost groans and I lose power steering. I think I have a bad hydroboost unit. I have pulled a vacuum on the power steering reservoir to purge the air.
62 Unibody Short Bed Soon To Have CV Swap
62 T Bird
66 Elcamino
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Are you positive you have your hoses correct to the hydroboost? And NO tee in the return to the tank... Yes many people swear you will not have a problem with a tee, but dodge and Ford both used two separate returns on their trucks.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

FarmMotorSports wrote:Are you positive you have your hoses correct to the hydroboost? And NO tee in the return to the tank... Yes many people swear you will not have a problem with a tee, but dodge and Ford both used two separate returns on their trucks.
X2
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
claybreaker 144

100% on the lines being correct, both return lines flow into a cooler then back to the tank. I'm going with a mustang HB and master cylinder in the next week or so.
62 T Bird
66 Elcamino
Sportinlife
United States of America

Post by Sportinlife »

Update. I bought a 1993 chevy 3500 hydroboost unit. I was clean and so was the truck I got it from Bought the whole shebang, including hydro lines and brake cylinder and lines. I think it was 93 bucks or so. Hydroboosts are all the same as far as I can tell, as long as you pay attention to the advice given earlier in this thread. I went to Elliott in Pilot Point Texas for the adapter. The unit needed to be spaced out from the firewall and the actuation rod modified. Elliott and I worked out a mount that will work on any 61-64 slick and probably on others. I plan on using the pressure hose from a early 1990s f250 with a diesel, because it has the right fittings for both the ps pump and for the hydroboost unit. I will post a pic or 2 later. I have yet to install brake lines, or my motor for that matter. PM me for Elliotts email address.
Sportinlife
United States of America

Post by Sportinlife »

claybreaker 144

Update
I replaced the hydroboost unit and everything is working as it should. I started with an Astro Van Unit and this unit was from a 1/2 ton Chevy. The later required shortening the pedal rod and moving the brake pedal 3/8" closer to the steering column. I stuck with the chevy because the master cylinder was already all plumed in. I'll let the Mustang set-up I bought go cheap!
62 T Bird
66 Elcamino