Trying to determine payload

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

f25065
United States of America

Trying to determine payload

Post by f25065 »

I have a ‘66 F110 4wd with a 5600 GVW rating from the VIN plate, and I’m trying to figure out how heavy of a small camper I can safely carry. I know they have 1/2-ton campers out there. I don’t really have a way of weighing the truck locally so I was just wondering what anyone here has come up with for their payload rating on comparable trucks. Thanks in advance.
Norm
04sd
United States of America

Re: Trying to determine payload

Post by 04sd »

I don't have an answer but a few thoughts.
How far, how fast, what kind of roads in the planned usage?
How much weight besides the camper, people supplies, etc.?
Are you after a 6.5' camper or are you leaving the tailgate on and putting in an 8'.
With anything much more than a glorified cap I think it will be real easy to get overloaded quickly.
If I remember right your truck in 2wd goes about 3900 lbs or so. 4x4 will probably add maybe another 400 lbs so 4300 lbs. Add two people in the cab and you're down to less than 1000 lbs for a camper and supplies.

That said, I remember having 2000 lbs of corn in the back of a 66 shortbed years ago. There was an extra leaf spring added in the rear so it rode kind of high when empty and it was just local hauling.

What you could do is sell me your truck and go buy an F250 :)
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

Well let’s see... mostly highway or backroad travel but some off-the-beaten-path as well. Just long weekend getaways up in the hills with my old man. Mostly envisioning a pop-up type camper, which I believe to be lighter than most hard-side campers. Definitely a short bed camper; keep it as small and light as possible. Camper, supplies, two people. Truck has overload springs installed by the P.O. but no idea what they’re rated at. I know a half ton significantly limits the weight when it comes to campers so just looking to try to keep it light as possible. Thanks for the numbers, man... it gives me a ballpark idea of where I need to be.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

f25065 wrote:I have a ‘66 F110 4wd with a 5600 GVW rating from the VIN plate, and I’m trying to figure out how heavy of a small camper I can safely carry. I know they have 1/2-ton campers out there. I don’t really have a way of weighing the truck locally so I was just wondering what anyone here has come up with for their payload rating on comparable trucks. Thanks in advance.
Norm
65 F-250 2 wheel drive weighs 48XX lbs with me, tool box and GooseNeck plate. My guess is you have at least 1500 lbs free to be legal. Most truck stops have a Cat Scale. Pull onto the scale and tell them truck #1. Seems it was $13 last time I weighed.
Chris
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

1400 lbs for a 6.5' pop up. http://www.northstarcampers.com/product ... pers-tc650
Price is kind of crazy though.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
samdog1966

Post by samdog1966 »

I have a small pop up camper(Palamino Colt) that I tow with my 66 f100 240, 3 on the tree, drum brakes. Camper weighs about 1800 lbs. I tow it 2-3 times a year, mostly highway. Short trips less than 60 miles. Never had a problem.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

chris401 wrote:
f25065 wrote:I have a ‘66 F110 4wd with a 5600 GVW rating from the VIN plate, and I’m trying to figure out how heavy of a small camper I can safely carry. I know they have 1/2-ton campers out there. I don’t really have a way of weighing the truck locally so I was just wondering what anyone here has come up with for their payload rating on comparable trucks. Thanks in advance.
Norm
65 F-250 2 wheel drive weighs 48XX lbs with me, tool box and GooseNeck plate. My guess is you have at least 1500 lbs free to be legal. Most truck stops have a Cat Scale. Pull onto the scale and tell them truck #1. Seems it was $13 last time I weighed.
If you have a grain elevator handy , they would probably give your weight for free, if you didn't need a scale ticket
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

You might want to consider a small travel trailer, that frees up your truck once you reach your campsite to sightsee or whatever
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

This may help. My FORD chart for a Slick 4x4 F-100 says the Body equipment & Payload allowance is 1,965 pounds.