Replaced fuel tank now having a weird issue

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Zax63
United States of America

Replaced fuel tank now having a weird issue

Post by Zax63 »

Just installed a new fuel tank in my '63. Previous to this I was using a 5 gallon plastic gas can strapped in the bed ( I did not drive it on the road like that) to get the truck running and tuned. It was running really well before the new tank went in. Carb and fuel pump were both installed a little while ago and were working great. Got the new tank in and sprayed a little starter fluid down the carb and it fired up. Then about a minute later gas started to spill out the tube above the bowl, previous to the tank install this had never happened. Shut it down and let it sit a couple hours and tried again, same thing. Removed the gas line from the carb, sprayed carb cleaner into the line and carb inlet and let it sit a little while. Then I rigged up a hose to the end of the fuel line that goes into the carb and into one of those big Gatorade bottles. I wanted to run all the gas and carb cleaner out of the carb before I hooked the line back up. It started right up and ran for less than a minute. In that time the Gatorade bottle filled and was almost to the point of overflowing.

So I figure one of two things is going on. Could be some piece of garbage got into the needle seat area when I installed the new tank. This seems unlikely as it would have had to get past the filter and the tank was clean as a whistle inside. Or the pump is putting out too much pressure and pushing past the needle and seat. This also seems unlikely unless the extra 6 feet of line going to the tank in the bed was causing more resistance for the pump inlet resulting in less pressure/volume. It does seem like filling a 32 ounce bottle in less than a minute is a lot for a 1 barrel carb...

Thoughts?
'63 F100 Wrongbed
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Replaced fuel tank now having a weird issue

Post by slick4x4 »

If the fuel pump worked before the tank installation
I would rule that problem out

I would bet you stirred something up
I think you're on the right path thinking its
A needle in seat problem ...
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

slick4x4 wrote:If the fuel pump worked before the tank installation
I would rule that problem out

I would bet you stirred something up
I think you're on the right path thinking its
A needle in seat problem ...
Yeah, I hate to pull the carb again but that is the most likely issue. Luckily I do have a spare, known good carb I can use to verify. If I put the spare on and it does the same thing i'll save myself the trouble of pulling the top off the new carb to check the needle and seat.

The only thing that got me on the too much pressure was one of the 1100 flooding troubleshooting videos from Mike's Carbs. He mentions he has seen the too much pressure problem several times on the cheaper overseas fuel pumps. Mine is for sure a cheaper overseas replacement pump.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Here's a redneck way to "clean out" a carb
Rev up the engine
Then pull the choke out
When it just about dies
Push it back in
Do it several times
Sometimes it works.... sometimes it wont solve anything
I have had luck doing this a couple times
Only takes a minute & involves no work
Its worth a try
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

Took some time to work on it after I got off work today. Put the old carb back on and no flooding issues, just the same old carb idle issues. So that confirmed it must be a stuck float on the new carb. Pulled the top off the new carb and it had a little crud. Cleaned it up good and the needle seemed to stick in the seat a little. I worked it in and out for a while and it seemed to free up. Put the carb back together and put it back on the truck. It fired up and ran fine. Hopefully that's the end of the flooding issue, i'm ready to move onto the clutch replacement. Getting closer to a driver.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

Glad you got it solved. What engine/trans do you have that you are about to do a clutch job on?
Dave

1965 F-100 Flareside (240 6-cyl)
3 speed. Former military truck.
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

redstone65 wrote:Glad you got it solved. What engine/trans do you have that you are about to do a clutch job on?
It's a 223 with the stock 3 speed.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Check the float drop measurement. The float drops a bit too low and lets the needle valve get jammed wide open. Had the same thing happen to me on my 61 223 on the way to slickstock in 2008. Had to do a roadside adjustment and never had a problem from then on. Just bent the little tang a tad to limit the drop

Fred.
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

Zax63 wrote:It's a 223 with the stock 3 speed.
It'd be great if you could document it here on the forum. I'll be having to do a clutch on mine soon as well.
Dave

1965 F-100 Flareside (240 6-cyl)
3 speed. Former military truck.
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

redstone65 wrote:
Zax63 wrote:It's a 223 with the stock 3 speed.
It'd be great if you could document it here on the forum. I'll be having to do a clutch on mine soon as well.
I should be able to do that. I’ll get my daughter to take pics as I go.
'63 F100 Wrongbed