Rusty 352...???’s

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

Rusty 352...???’s

Post by Mr. Jones »

Just checking to see what might be a good method to de-rust this thing.I’m thinking of using a 50/50 mix of vinegar & water...anyone ever done this ??
Thanks Dan
(Cooling system is needing the derusting)
Last edited by Mr. Jones on September 19, 2019, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercuryv8
Canada

Re: Rusty 352...???’s

Post by mercuryv8 »

What are your plans as far as teardown. Could you sand blast it?
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

The rust is all internal, no tear down planned engine runs fine
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Good luck ... seems like an engine that has sat & makes the coolant
Rusty .... keeps doing it
I had an old dodge army truck, I bet I flushed that fluid 15 times one
Summer.... fill , drive , dump.... repeat
It never did quit making it rust colored
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

slick4x4 wrote:Good luck ... seems like an engine that has sat & makes the coolant
Rusty .... keeps doing it
That’s exactly what’s going on,been doing it since day one back in 2001....not sure on how strong of mixture to use,used an aluminum bread pan once to soak some rusty bolts and the vinegar ate thru the pan in two days then took the galvanizing off my work bench surface.....my concern is the copper radiator....
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

If it doesn't get hot ... I wouldn't worry
Mine would make the coolant get so dark
I couldn't read the antifreeze tester :?
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Mr. Jones wrote:Just checking to see what might be a good method to de-rust this thing.I’m thinking of using a 50/50 mix of vinegar & water...anyone ever done this ??
Thanks Dan
(Cooling system is needing the derusting)
I have not done it but it seems like a good idea. Only downside that I can think of is the small rust chunks that don't disolve could get wedged between the hose and neck. Once rust collects in the bottom of the block it is hard to get out. Coolant flows over the top of it. Does not help things when a mechanic knocks the old core/freeze plugs in the water jacket instead of removing them. Along with there own rust they also create a dam that traps debris.
Chris
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

I thought about the name brand product Ospho. Phosphoric acid? Maybe flush the system with the garden hose till you get it pretty clear, then add a gallon of opsho?

A google search says this about acids affects on copper:

"Strong acids include nitric acid, sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid and phosphoric acid. ... Hydrochloric and phosphoric acid don't oxidize metals well and won't dissolve copper. Sulfuric acid has a medium oxidizing ability and will dissolve copper over time."

Maybe do a test on some scrap copper flashing if you have some laying around to see how vinegar and ospho react with it. I'm unsure how effective it may be as a diluted solution inside the block?
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Dan I do not know if this will work on gas engines, BUT we had to flush out the rollback so went to Cummins and they have their own flush, had to go to the store and buy water to add to it, let it run with the heater running with this flush in it for little bit, drain it, then run clean water few more times and then added our anti-freeze, Since then it's been OK. Only Reason we had to flush was we mixed the green anti-freeze with the red or known as 50/50 on the road to get by with.
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I did my Edsel with straight vinegar. I don't remember how long I left it in but it worked . it's been clear ever since. I saw the idea on some website it might have been jalopy journal. It's been about 10+ years ago and no problems. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I would think the 50/50 mix for a few miles and then flush until clear, and add anti freeze would be the way to go.

I'll be out of town all this week, but plan to do that exact same thing to my Jeep when I get back......

I bought it cheap 8 years ago because all the rust made it over heat with the previous owner. He even gave me another $100 back AFTER we signed the title....

I flushed it then, just with clear water about 12 times and added anti freeze. I just noticed last week that it was chocolate brown again, and constantly getting thicker.

If you don't want to damage anything, I can let you know next week what MY results are..... :dontknow:
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

From jalopy journal
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... sh.353511/

I ran pure vinegar through my system. Vinegar is a very mild acid and won't hurt anything. Before I used the vinegar I flushed both sides of the cooling system out with clean water and air by rigging up a pipe to the top thermostat housing on each side.

[​IMG]

The air is used to agitate the water inside the engine make the gunk in the engine move around. The first clear water flush got a lot of gunk out. I ran this until the water ran clear. I then filled the entire system with vinegar and ran it for a while. I was told to run it for a 1000 miles but I wasn't able to, I ran it maybe 200-300 miles, drained the system and then hooked up the air and water again. This time I go more gunk out.

I don't think you have to neutralize it afterward because the vinegar is a very mild acid and by flushing the system and refilling it with the proper anti-freeze, which has anti-rust agents in it, the very little amount of vinegar left will be taken care of.
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder