Brake switch...??'s

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

Brake switch...??'s

Post by Mr. Jones »

I'm installing a 67 m/c into my 66 f-250,the problem is mounting the switch in line..M/C has no port for it.......and it has a pipe thread I'm told......been to O'Rielly's,Casper Brake,Nuts and Bolts,True Value etc....no adapters available to get it into a 3/16th."T- fitting.any suggestions would be helpful want to have it ready for work Monday...Putting new alloy and rubber lines in today......
Thanks
Dan Jones
SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Brake switch...??'s

Post by SteveCanup »

The best solution is to install a switch onto your brake pedal. There are many "How-To" articles on this site that will help you accomplish that. The switch is more reliable than the in-line pressure switch. I went through 3 "new" pressure switches before I obtained one that worked. They are junk and unreliable at best. To insure that my brake lights were working properly, I installed a switch on the brake pedal. You will spend the same about of money to accomplish this. :2cents:
1964 F-100
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Steve,
Gotta love U-Tube, I watched one this morning on the switch,looks simple enough...probably go that route....someone posted awhile back their install with pics and a parts list,it showed his mounted off the rear port into a three way fitting....that was my plan....
Thanks
Dan
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

ANOTHER QUESTION.....,
Since I’m replacing the lines,is ther any advantage changing to a silicon fluid or staying with Dot-3?
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Repells water from the system, thus preventing rust form the inside. Conditions seals in the system. Wheel cylinders, calipers and master will still need the occasional replacement, or so I was told.
3.5 years and my used master, and wheel cylinders are still failure free after the swap to silicone.

I'm pro silicone fluid, with a few conditions.

All old brake fluid must be removed and flushed. Failure to do so will create a gelatinous goo that dose not work well as brake fluid.
Be aware people claim it has a softer peddle feel.
Always carry a small container with the truck... Not all parts stores have it in stock - not handy when you realize one of your flares didn't perfectly seal.... So you need an away from home top off.

Expect people to tell you your fluid is ready for a flush if you have a master with the see thru reservoir. (It's dark purple/blue)
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle