What parts can I use from a 1970 F100 on my 1966?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DOCs66CC

What parts can I use from a 1970 F100 on my 1966?

Post by DOCs66CC »

The 70 has an FE engine with auto trans, power steering, power brakes and it's a LWB. My 66 has a 352 with 3 on the tree. It's a SWB with no power steering or power brakes. I'd really like to use the auto trans, steering column, PS, PB on my truck but want to make sure everything will work and what modifications I might have to make. I haven't bought the 70 yet for the parts. Any info is greatly appreciated.
longcabjohn
United States of America

Re: What parts can I use from a 1970 F100 on my 1966?

Post by longcabjohn »

The short answer is that every thing you mention will swap over without alteration, with possible of having to shorten your drive shaft.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
DOCs66CC

Post by DOCs66CC »

Thank you Johnny! How hard is it to shorten the drive shaft?
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

DOCs66CC wrote:Thank you Johnny! How hard is it to shorten the drive shaft?
Depends on your skill level and welding ability. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do it, watch a few and decide if it is something you want to try. You can find a local shop to do it for you.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Here is an article that I saved in my files that helped me immensely. I did cut mine down 9 inches on my '64 F-100 after installing a T5 and I still had to take it to a local driveshaft shop to balance it. $97.50 out the door and ready to bolt in. I couldn't get the "run- out" within tolerances, lol. This article will help.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ft.447741/
1964 F-100
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

there is several modifications
1 on engine you have to remove your harmonic balancer and use the 390 one with all of the engine pulley's etc...
2 on steering column you will have to take your column to dash bracket off and install on the 70 column
3 wiring for turn signal switch, there is yellow wire with black tracer and will have to figure out which one it was before 1970
4 you will be able to pull your old bell housing out of the truck, BUT INSTALLING The automatic you will have to remove the cross member between the 2 radius arms to get the automatic back in AND DO NOT BE Like these IDIOTS that has no sense that do not install back PURE DANGEROUS since that cross member holds them in strength on your chassis
5 be sure when installing the automatic flywheel that it has the little plate that will go with flywheel, f not the flywheel will crack
6 More to it than just shorting driveshaft,, THAT WILL NOT WORK IN THIS CASE, The trans if Factory will have a bolt in yoke on it , as well as the rear and see 1967-72 F-100 short beds has its own unique drive shaft and I think your 66 has a slip in yoke so cutting drive shaft is not going to work, will have to have a drive shaft that the long end will bolt to the rear and towards the front it has a short shaft that will slide in and out with a spline on the shaft off rear end which is male and shaft off trans will be a female with splines inside that so that is why just cutting a driveshaft is not the answer
7 save speedometer cable since both are different
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
DOCs66CC

Post by DOCs66CC »

Thank you Tom for that information. If I decided to just keep the original 3 speed transmission and I only wanted to add power steering and power brakes what would you suggest would be the best route to go?
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

if you really want to install the auto, I did it on my 66. i had to cut the cross member that Tom was talking about, but I cut both ends and added plates so that the c/m is removable. works fine and is a helluva easier than pulling out the engine to get the tranny out. hope this helps some. Jeff
it's never too late to have a happy childhood

1966 Long Box 5/8 ton wha.gif
2012 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5 TWIN TURBO ......yee haw
2000 Road King
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

3 speed power steering columns are hard to find , and would not suggest cutting columns like so many have tried with bad results especially outer column has to be cut twice, steering shaft cut or p/s shaft, shift tube needs cut exact also offset shifter arms needed also.. power brakes would use what is factory,, somebody here had aftermarket booster and pulled a bolt out and most of those not made in this country
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo