new starter on't engage

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Doc Pepper

new starter on't engage

Post by Doc Pepper »

My relatively new starter stopped moving the drive gear into the flywheel. It just spins. I am not talking about the drive engaging but slipping. This is simply that the starter won't move the drive forward. I don't want to return it to the parts store as it will be the fourth starter that I will get for free under the lifetime warranty. Personally, 15 years of starting (in my opinion) is enough. But if it is simply some adjustment to the starter, I would be very happy to affect the repair myself.
A (very long) time ago when I rebuilt starters, I would simply bend the drive fork so that it would take less voltage to work, but I am open to any suggestions.
Blackwaterforge

Re: new starter on't engage

Post by Blackwaterforge »

Take the starter off and grease the shaft that the bendix is on.
I had to do the some thing on a welding machine a couple of weeks ago.
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
Doc Pepper

Re: new starter on't engage

Post by Doc Pepper »

Thanks. Ill try that. But I am also going to check the plunger for wear or warpage. The starter DID work for a few weeks before it stopped engaging. It had sat in the tool box for years before I needed it (I always have spare vital parts in my toolbox). Now if I could only get a couple of doors, the truck would be usable for the next ten years.