Non Slick 4 x 4 conversion question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

C.G.
United States of America

Non Slick 4 x 4 conversion question

Post by C.G. »

I have a 1971 F250 2 wheel drive and a 1970 F250 4 x 4.
Can I "pull" the running gear off the 4 x 4 and install it on the 2 wheel drive chassis?
Is there any modification needed or would it require the 4 x 4 frame as well?
Thanks for the help.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Non Slick 4 x 4 conversion question

Post by FarmMotorSports »

The 2wd will be coil spring front, and the 4x4 will be leaf...

Drilling , grinding and driving out all the rivets that hold the two different suspension systems on the frames is all it would take to make the frame swap my only viable direction. If you haven't removed several factory installed rivets, you should try a few... (Please have a friend get video of the process) some come out easy... others will not let go till the last thousandths of an inch of it is removed!

The 4x4 should have a straight ladder style frame, the 2wd may have tapering framework and may have a wave over the rear axel... Not sure when all the frame changes happened on 2wd... In short if not damaged the 4x4 has a stronger straighter narrow frame. So axel perch placement may have to be changed if the suspension is moved to the 2wd frame...

It has been 20+ years since I have worked under a 70s F 250 so I may be remembering different years of ford 4x4 frame work....

I feel certain Tom will have the exact and correct answers for you next time he is online..
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

It's more than just rivets. Unless you were going to put in a lot of lift you would need to cut out the Twin I Beam crossmember. Not that it can't be done but my first choice given the two trucks you have would be to put the 71 body on the 4x4 chassis. Are there problems with the 4x4 chassis? I have no idea what your skill level is but generally if someone is asking a question like yours then converting the 2wd chassis to 4wd is more than they can handle. Moving the body is pretty much a bolt on.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

That's what I was unsure of if it was easier to swap the four wheel components than the body.
My 70 2 wheel drive is in really good shape. The 71 4 wheel drive was rescued from being buried in about one and a half feet of West Texas dirt. Rusty but otherwise rebuildable I think.
Are there any issues mounting a 70 body on a 71 chassis other than putting a hole for the transfer case shifter?
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

For a body swap, none that I can think of... that are a no go situation, is trans tunnel height the same on both cabs? If not save the 4X4 hump...
The 4x4 column may need to be transferred to the new cab, and or parts of it. Pay close attention to body mounts, spacers for bed core support etc. I believe the differences in frame width and shape cause changes in spacers etc.

As they say the devil is in the details. Compare and save parts until you are well beyond needing them during the swap.

Nothing worse than realizing that small chunk of wire harness, linkage or sheet metal went to the scrap yard yesterday.

Good luck, and please do keep us updated. I would watch that build thread.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

I would agree that swapping bodies would be the best route. A great resource that will explain 4x4 vs 4x2 differences as well as steering column swaps, is fordification.com. The guy knows his stuff on bumpsides. He's also a member here though I haven't seen him post here for a while. Send us photos.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

all the coil suspension will have to be removed. engine saddle will have to be removed,, all spring saddles will have be installed, place for gear box since both have 2 different locations + holes drilled to install the engine, while on engine will need 4x4 oil pan/pickup tube/ special stud to hold up the pick up tube, that bolt mount to one of the main bearing caps, steering columns are different between 2wd and 4x4 trucks, rear end assemblies are different between 2wd and 4x4 trucks since I ran into that problem years ago trying to put a 2wd axle assembly in a 4x4 chassis also be sure you have the correct radiator core support sine they are different between 2wd and 4x4 trucks. might be more missing but this is what I know off top of my head
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

I really appreciate all your thoughts on how to make my four wheel drive work.
I am thinking I might research "pulling" the body off the 4 x 4, noting all the mounting points.
Work the chassis into shape then put the body of the 2 wheel drive on top of it.
Looks like I may need to get a bigger shop!
Thanks again for all the help.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

body swap is my vote. ....
extra bonus .... frame VIN will match title VIN
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

be sure vin # starts with F26, if not then its worthless since will not be listed as a true 4x4 truck and like Pat says if all matches on frame rail a good ++++ , way too many trucks seeing now where nothing matches on door tag or vin # on chassis or the right title
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
greentruck
United States of America

Post by greentruck »

A few years ago I was all about 4x4 conversions and taking perfectly good vehilces and changing them to different configurations. Now adays I would recomend keeping and driving your 2wd and build and repair your 4x4 . That way you save a truck and end up with two.
66 f100 4x4 ,64 f100 4x4 ,65 f100 2wd, 76 bronco, 74 bronco, 68 bronco, 69 mustang mach 1,68 torino gt,42 ford gpw
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

I hadn't thought about the vin, but I do have titles on both vehicles which is a plus.
Thanks for all the advice. It is good to have options.