Upper Door Trim Panels From SMS?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Curmudgeon

Upper Door Trim Panels From SMS?

Post by Curmudgeon »

I’m not at all satisfied with the ABS reproductions I bought. I found out that SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon, who provided me with the correct seat cover for my 66 Custom Cab, can also do the correct soft vinyl door trim panels. I always seem to be behind the curve on such things, but has anyone bought a set from them, and if so, what are your opinions? I was quoted about 400.00 for the pair, color of my choice, and want to make sure they are worth it. Thanks in advance.
fire704

Re: Upper Door Trim Panels From SMS?

Post by fire704 »

When you say "soft vinyl" do you mean the same material as your seat covers? If so, then I believe that is not correct. I have a 64 and the abs is the closest to correct we can get. For my year, the original panels were plastic and a different design that the repo abs now available.
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

Yes sir, that is what I mean. I am in email correspondence with one of their salespersons, since I am thinking about getting a pair, but I’d like to get a sample of the materials first. Even having an alternative at all to the ABS ones would be good news. I will call her today to request samples and ask a few detailed questions, report back here.
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

So, I just spoke with Lesli at SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon:

https://smsautofabrics.com/

They are sending to me a sample of the original type vinyl for approval. Yes, they can duplicate them exactly, including embossing the lines and detents.

This is great news for Slick owners wanting an alternative to the hard-shell ABS re-pops available. Also, I can order additional material for altering a pair of the aftermarket door pockets to match. I will simply buy the re-popped black ones, and have a local upholsterer stitch up new ones with the correct color vinyl.

The only drawback? They will not take any further orders for a full year, they are that backlogged. I snuck in under the wire before the deadline, I received a sales flyer/email from them recently, and they will honor it though I haven’t yet paid for my order.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

always nice to have another supplier for options.. thanks for doing the leg work for all of us.. :thumright: :steering:
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Curmudgeon wrote:
https://smsautofabrics.com/
. Yes, they can duplicate them exactly, including embossing the lines and detents.

. Also, I can order additional material for altering a pair of the aftermarket door pockets to match. I will simply buy the re-popped black ones, and have a local upholsterer stitch up new ones with the correct color vinyl.
I bought the red vinyl embossing and seat material from them years ago. I never installed it. The embossing section was the top 10" inches and the rest of the material is separate. I would have to have an upholster assemble it.

I ended up using some wool material in the mean time from Joann fabrics. One day i will switch to the correct vinyl.

As for the door pockets, I also bought the aftermarket door pockets, took to a local upholster and picked out a grey vinyl to have the black replaced. They did a great job.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
mitzel

Post by mitzel »

shipwrecked wrote: I bought the red vinyl embossing and seat material from them years ago. I never installed it. The embossing section was the top 10" inches and the rest of the material is separate. I would have to have an upholster assemble it.
For anyone interested, I was on the phone with SMS recently and they're now offering
completed seat cover rather than just the materials. Quoted $795 for any color & material
(all vinyl or cloth+vinyl) and includes the embossing. Said ~3months lead time on delivery.
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

mitzel wrote:
shipwrecked wrote: I bought the red vinyl embossing and seat material from them years ago. I never installed it. The embossing section was the top 10" inches and the rest of the material is separate. I would have to have an upholster assemble it.
For anyone interested, I was on the phone with SMS recently and they're now offering
completed seat cover rather than just the materials. Quoted $795 for any color & material
(all vinyl or cloth+vinyl) and includes the embossing. Said ~3months lead time on delivery.
That’s what I did, a couple years back. They have gone up a hundred bucks since then, I see.