Saying hi and introducing myself

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Xcessive

Saying hi and introducing myself

Post by Xcessive »

Hey ya'll,

Been prowlin this site for a couple days now getting some info and reading what ever I could. Decided to finally register and say hi.

Give ya a little bout me/my truck

23 & live in Utah, Just picked up a 64 f100 LB. Great body on it. hardly any rust, paint is shot. interior isn't so great. Has 42,000 original mile on it w/o the odo rollin over. Have some bigger plans for it. Sorry the purists that think vehicles should go back to stock... cant do that this time.

Been wrenching/body work/shooting paint since I was little. I will offer help where I can, but Im also full of a lot of questions at this point as im not familiar what-so-ever with the slicks.

Got the truck cuz I fell in love with the body lines, the body was great, and I needed a new project as I just gone done with full frame off resto's of both my 71 Chevelle SS and my 66 Lemans.

Anyhow. Look forward to being on the site.

Brad
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

You probably won't find this site overpopulated with purists, but about the only things you could do as a major screw up are
1) put anything but a Ford engine in it
2) cut the roof off and make it an convertible
3) Put a snorkel hood scoop on it

after that purdy much anything goes around here.. and :welcome:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Hi Brad,
Glad to have you. Sounds like a great start on the truck. Good luck.
Jim
Phil

Post by Phil »

Johnny Canuck wrote:You probably won't find this site overpopulated with purists, but about the only things you could do as a major screw up are

^ all true

But it is OK to make one an "Expedition" cause that would just be cool.
(as long as its not an Eddie Bauer)

Welcome!!
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Dont listen to that canadian kook...... :evil:

Put that LS6 Aluminum huffed monster in there.....

Garbz.......
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

welcome.
lots of stuff in here thats not stock or original.
lots of good ideas and bs about different slick related things.
sometimes we pick apart trucks listed on e-bay and stuff, just like the movie critics.
but
its a great bunch of folks and all the knowledge you need to do just about anything.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
northern

Post by northern »

Welcome

sound like you registered for the same things i did.
plus or minus a thing or two.

Marc.
Xcessive

Post by Xcessive »

garbz knows what I WANT to do lol. talked to him for a minute last night. hehehe. I think I should keep my mouth shut on some of it lol.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Garbz wrote:Dont listen to that canadian kook...... :evil:
Garbz.......

Xcessive wrote:garbz knows what I WANT to do lol. talked to him for a minute last night. hehehe. I think I should keep my mouth shut on some of it lol.

Do you have Ford engines in your Chebbys? No?
So leave well enough alone.
Don't force me to come down there and leave a steaming pile on your truck for a hood ornament. Image
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on October 27, 2007, 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

welcome to the forums :welcome:
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

Johnny Canuck wrote:You probably won't find this site overpopulated with purists, but about the only things you could do as a major screw up are

uh oh. Looks like Johnny is gonna be pissed when I get around to modding Aggie. "2) cut the roof off and make it an convertible"

As discussed in other threads of varying degrees of friendliness, Opinons are just that. You think it is a Nasty idea. I think it is cool. It is "mine". therefore, it is cool, at least to me. And that is all that matters, because I have NO intentions of selling.
I have intentions of making it in a somewhat "understated" kind of way, unlike some guys that modify Everything in repulsive ways (ie louvered fenders, as on the '49 just posted in the trucks section), then put a stupid looking paint job on it. But even then, they are entitled to their opinions- as controversial as they may be.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Yeah G`day Brad, Nice to have you aboard!,and as they say dont forget the photos :wink: .

Alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Xcessive

Post by Xcessive »

once again thanks for the welcome everyone.... Alan.. love australia, hope to make it back down there someday.

So yall know. I have a blown alumn block 396 I was thinking of putting in this car..but I also came across another goodie today...so we will see lol... Also toying with the idea of a turbo 3347 or 331...we will see what time and money permit. the 396 is all ready to be dropped into somethin :)
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Your truck is a natural for a 427 Ford or maybe a 390 for somthing a little tamer.
Jim
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Guilty to the unthinkable. I have installed a Cheb 283 in a 1950 F1, I have installed a Chrys 318 in a 1939 Ford pickup, but I have made restitution by installing a FORD 289 in a 1951 Chebby Pickup. These were all done during the 70s when I was young and did not realize the errors of my ways. My 1962 F100 Uni is all Ford.
Fred
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Garbz wrote:Dont listen to that canadian kook...... :evil:
Garbz.......

Xcessive wrote:garbz knows what I WANT to do lol. talked to him for a minute last night. hehehe. I think I should keep my mouth shut on some of it lol.

Do you have Ford engines in your Chebbys? No?
So leave well enough alone.
Don't force me to come down there and leave a steaming pile on your truck for a hood ornament. Image

that would give the truck a steaming pile on the hood and another underneath it.

this has been gone over previously.
http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1185
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Welcome! I agree with Garbz - ignore the Canook in the corner. <grin>
We give Johnny a hard time - but he is a great guy - he even liked MY poor truck when he drove it at Slick Stock on '04!

Seriously, have fun with yoru truck, that is really what it is all about.
As for original, I redid the drivetrain in my truck, but it looks factory, because it is all Ford, and it is all bolt-on to boot!

Again welcome, and we hope you have a gooddtime here!

This is my truck now:
I am getting 15 MPG at 70 MPH with a nearly stock 460 in my '66 F-100. And I have power to spare.
‘86 460 bored 60 over with stock '86 heads - no porting
'77 F-250 460 engine perches and mounts
'69 straight up cam gears, Cloyes double roller with RV type cam
Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) intake and 1470 750 CFM carb on a 1" phenolic spacer
'76 Duraspark II ignition
Stock aftermarket manifolds with a 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust (plain mufflers); copper gaskets
'93 serpentine belt brackets and pulleys
'78 power steering pump, hoses with ’93 PS pulley
'76 power steering box
’76 power steering pitman arm
’92 power steering cooler, mounted in the frame
'70 steering column
'66 radiator (re-cored)
'66 alternator with '93 serpentine pulley and fan
'86 water pump
'86 fan clutch with '77 7-blade fan
'83 C-6 from an '83 F-350 fifth wheeler, with '77 C-6 linkage (internal shift rod and kickdown)
2.75 rear end
'83 stock rear sump oil pan, with stock oil pump, pickup tube and dipstick (includes main bearing bolt with stud to hold pickup in place)
Includes '93 A/C compressor, but A/C is not installed. (Needed for the serpentine belts.)
’76 F-150 3-inch rear brakes

The only modifications I had to make were:
Fabricate an accelerator cable bracket by combining an FE one with a 385 one.
Shorten the front driveshaft to adapt to the C-6 (with a conversion joint)
Change the C-6 internal shift linkage from a ’68 – ’79 C-6.
Xcessive

Post by Xcessive »

maybe yours is something I can go off of. What year truck do you have?

I picked up a 460 for $150 night before last. Was sitting on the guys engine stand. He went thru and replaced all the seals and what not. said when he pulled it the engine was running great, came out of a 91 f-350 with 94,000 miles on it. Then from the same guy bought a 79 Z28 for $300...so maybe the 396 can go in that lol.

Plus side I got a good score, downside is that that took some money from the truck.

Either way, friday night and all day yesterday clear until about 1 in the morning was nothing but body work. Got most of it done, just gotta finish the passenger side of the cab and reinstall the grill, bumpers, lights, and emblems. Should be able to get another coat of primer and get a coat of clear on it (for right now since it's gonna start snowing) plus all the extra junk done before I gotta crash out tonight.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Xcessive, I have a '66.
Unfortunately, 1965 was the first year for the Twin I-beam type trucks. If yours is a straight front axle, then it is a true '64. (Check underneath. Some DMVs would accidentally title early '65 models as '64s.)
There is almost nothing interchangeable between pre-'64 trucks and the '65 and later trucks. THey look very similar, but underneath they are radically different.
To put a 385 series engine in your '64, you'll need some adapters and mounting kits. Garbz and a few others here - including the Canuck in the corner - are extremely knowledgeable about these kinds of swaps, so I hope Johnny and Garbz chime in soon, before you spend too much money.

As for a 460 made after about '88, you may have some problems there too, as the fuel injected system is completely incompatible with the carburetor engines.
The heads, intake and everything above the block is incompatible with carbed intake systems. You cannot use a carbed intake on heads designed for fuel injection. The intake ports are radically different on the fuel injected heads, and won't line up with the carbed intakes, whether factory or after-market.

The good news is that you can use carbed heads off of any 429/460 from any year on any 385 block, which means you can use the block you bought, but you may need to get another set of heads,
Hope this doesn't ruin any plans you have already set in motion.
Xcessive

Post by Xcessive »

nope no worries there, I have a good hook up in regard to auto salvage. I have two buddies that own two of the larger, nicer salvage yards here in Utah. So they usually give me a killer deal on more $$$ items and free if it just little things.