65 240 Clutch Replacement - parts list

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

redstone65
United States of America

65 240 Clutch Replacement - parts list

Post by redstone65 »

Just finished putting a new clutch and flywheel in the '65 with a 240 and 3-speed trans. Everything bolted up great. Here is the parts list to make life easier for anyone else doing this:

McLeod Flywheel #463200 - Link
LuK Clutch Kit #07-027 - Link
ARP Flywheel bolts #200-2802 - Link
McLeod Pressure Plate bolts #1512 - Link
Rear Main Seal (Felpro) #40509 - Link

Replaced the rear main seal and pilot bushing while I was in there because crazy not to. Based on the part number, the rear main seal that was in there seems like the original. It was leaking, but not nearly as much as you'd expect from a 57 year old seal. I used the U-shaped pilot bushing puller tool (link) from Advance Auto's loaner tools. It worked great and was much better than a slide hammer.

I did this work on the side of the street where we park here in the city, since I don't have a garage. Getting the trans back in was the hardest part. Being on rough asphalt at a slight incline proved really hard to get the input shaft to go in at the correct angle. Ultimately I ended up buying some 7/16" coarse thread threaded rod and cutting it into 10" sections. I screwed three of those into the bellhousing bolt holes and used them as guides to get the trans in the right position using the transmission jack. To get the last half inch to mate up I had to put all 4 trans-to-bellhousing bolts in place and just tighten them down in a criss-cross pattern to cinch it up.

While I had all the parts removed it was a good time to clean the caked on greasy mud off of everything and hit it all with rust reformer and a coat of black paint. Looks nice and new under there now.

Drives like a dream now. Butter smooth and zero noise. I'm happy.
Dave

1965 F-100 Flareside (240 6-cyl)
3 speed. Former military truck.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: 65 240 Clutch Replacement - parts list

Post by slick4x4 »

:thumright:
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER