Differential!?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Doc Pepper

Differential!?

Post by Doc Pepper »

After hearing a nasty noise under the truck, I decided it was time to check the driveshaft. It was 100 degrees outside and I didn't really have the energy to get this 70 yo protoplasmic antique outside, but if I didn't do it, who would. But first, I tried a few service stations (five, to be exact). The price ranged from $200 and no guarantee to $2400 and no guarantee, and regardless of my choice there was a 1 week wait for the service. SO here it goes.
I crawled under the truck and wriggled the driveshaft. I noticed that the rubber between the carrier bearing and its housing was gone, so I took the 2 driveshafts out and went through them. The three U-joints wee good (actually quite good) so I changed out the carrier and reinstalled it. The noise got worse. Really, it's too hot for this, and I am too old, but I then lifted the rear axle and checked the wheel movement, I discovered that the left rear wheel bearing was howling. And, while it was disassembled, I noticed that the rear brake was shot, really shot. So I replaced the bearing and brakes. It took me 2 days to locate a store in town that even had the parts, but when I did find them, they were of the highest quality. While it was up, I checked the right rear and found the seal leaking, but the bearing in excellent shape, so I replaced the seal. I also noticed that the rr brakes were actually in excellent shape, but I changed it out anyway.
I also noticed that the diff pinion seal appeared to be leaking. And that the rear end was virtually empty of fluid. SO I put 2 quarts of gear oil in.
Success. The noise is gone and the truck now rolls quietly.
Unfortunately, I am now left with a leaky pinion seal and I am too afraid to tackle the job. And there is some play in the rear end. Not much, about an inch at the wheel. I need some serious morale help. What am I going to get into if I pull that rear yoke off. Can I remove the nut with a Harbor Freight discount impact wrench that has maybe 120 foot pounds of torque. Whats all this hoopla about a squeeze sleeve. Should I remove just the nut and yoke, or the carrier housing, or maybe the entire differential.
Really, if new and used cars weren't so expensive I would donate this thing the a sado-masochist society and let them figure it all out. Why can't I get enough energy to just finish the electric Porsche.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Differential!?

Post by slick4x4 »

Can you get somebody to help you ?
A young 16 year old that wants to learn ?
Even if you paid him $20 an hour …
3 , 8 hour days would be less than $500
I’m thinking that would be a maximum cost…
I’m thinking you could get someone for far less labor cost
And not take near that many hours
I understand the frustration ,I can’t do a 1/3 as much as I use to
Good luck
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

I figure there are only three way that I can get help: First, I can pay someone, but at the snail's pace that I work, it would cost me a fortune; Second, I could find a friendly neighbor, but I am pretty sure the electric barbed wire fence and the 75 pound German Shepherd have turned most of my neighbors the other way: And third, I could find a beautiful woman, marry her, hope my parts still work, hope it is a boy, hope he does not want to live as a girl, and then wait 12 years.
Actually, I have been watching a number if YouTube videos on 9" differential repair, trying to get my gander up enough to tackle the job. So far it hasn't helped. I was also hoping a couple of group members that live in Tucson might help me, but they changed their phone numbers.
Right now, it will probably cost me a quart of gear oi every couple of weeks. Hopefully, I can make it to the cooler weather.
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

$850! I guess it's my fault. You ignore something long enough and it will bite you back. After washing the diff, I noticed that the oil leak was fairly universal. There was quite a bit of slap in the yoke. And even a periodic clunk. I had to make a decision; do I go buy a new car or fix this old thing up ... again ... for the nth time. I thought hard about what what going to be needed to make this truck my daily driver again. It all came to about $4500. Rebuilt motor, trans, and rear axle.
I did some more math. If I bought a new car, say a Ford Maverick Hybrid, it would cost me thirty grand. Well, OK, I guess I could bite that bullet. But then I started to add all the rest in. That truck does not get to me for that price. There are additional costs. There is the $3300 tax, the dealer fees (about $1000), and the registration fee (about $2000). If I added all that up (over 5 grand), I figured that I could completely restore this truck, make it a decent daily driver again, and still be under all of the ancillary costs of that $30000 nightmare. Yes, maybe I would have air conditioning again, or enough heat to de-ice my windshield, but do I want to pay that $100/month insurance bill for the rest of my life.
So I took it to the differential repair place. Their inspection revealed to me all that I already suspected, and even a bit more. But they said that I could have a virtually new rear end for $850. I didn't want to shell all that out, but it would be nice to uncomplicate my problems by one third member.
So, in a day or two, I should get my truck back, with the oil-leaking engine, the clunking transmission and the 90,000 mile worn clutch. But damn! At least the differential will be like new.
And this gives me a little more time to work on my unfinished electric car, my house wiring, the 27 yo water heater, the damaged front wall of my mobile home,....