memorial Day

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

longcabjohn
United States of America

memorial Day

Post by longcabjohn »

Hope everyone had a great day and remembered the reason for the day. Did a program at veteran's park this morning and poppy sales yesterday.

Didn't get the Slick or Skyliner out , don't want to take attention away from the reason for the day..

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: memorial Day

Post by slick4x4 »

:iagree:
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
chris401
United States of America

Fallen Servicemen

Post by chris401 »

longcabjohn wrote:Hope everyone had a great day and remembered the reason for the day. Did a program at veteran's park this morning and poppy sales yesterday.

Didn't get the Slick or Skyliner out , don't want to take attention away from the reason for the day..

Johnny
Lately I have been watching footage and looking at photos from D-Day looking for familiar faces. In particular the first wave at Omaha. My paternal grandpa was part in the 1st "Big Red One". He never did tell his children or grand children much about war other than common historical facts. From what I have learned so far I better understand him keeping things to himself. My maternal grandfather was in the air bombing the bunkers, a great uncle was a medic on the beach that day, another great uncle went down in a C47 and wasn't identified and brought home until 2007. My paternal grandma learned late in life what happened to her two brothers. I am a very small part of humanity that had family directly impacted by war. I am sure everyone reading this post has family to some extent. Here is a link below I made a few years ago. I'm sure most who knew them are gone but you never know.

http://ford-mel-engine.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1617
Chris
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

my mother's brother that I share first and middle names with is buried in the philippine islands. I am the only one of my generation to see him , but I was only 9 days old.

My father lost a lung to tb and was discharged in 1940, told he wouldn't live 6 months, died 51 years later in 1992.

I served from 1964 to 1967, looking back I wish that I had stayed 20.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
grump

Post by grump »

I was in S.E. Asia in 70-71 and when I came home nobody wanted to hear anything about what went on. The kids finally wondered about that time period so on my birthday we had show and tell, mostly me telling. I've always wondered if the WW two, Korean vets had talked about their time maybe the guys that had the problems might have been helped if someone just listened. Trust me it's not that easy to talk about but I know I felt better. I know 4 names on the Wall and 1 in particular that I pretty much think about every day. sorry if I rambled on.