Sway bar

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

moonpie

Sway bar

Post by moonpie »

I just received my Addco sway bar kit for the front of my 66 twin I-beam. It is pretty generic, nothing like Slickfans. You have to drill holes in the I-beams to attach brackets and same thing for the frame. It's just a straight piece of cold roll with two 90s and a bolt hole on each end. It doesn't connect under the spring like a factory one would. I have looked for several years and have yet to find one in the boneyard. Has anyone tried the aftermarket swaybars? If so any opinion on them. I have been to the F100 supernationals for 9 years in a row and have never seen one on a twin, even with dropped beams. I want to put the swaybar on really bad but would like to find someone that has been there done that.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I had an 82 with handling package. Had sway bars on front and rear. can't see why those wouldn't work.
Jim
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

jakdad wrote:I had an 82 with handling package. Had sway bars on front and rear. can't see why those wouldn't work.

Frame widths are different. So is the width between the ends of the bar.

The only ones that I have ever seen that work are the aftermarket ones and the stock 73-79 ones.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

Drill Holes in the beams to attach them???? that sounds bad. I DARE you to drill a hole in Forged Steel with a normal bit.

And if you did it wrong, you could weaken them severely... Right?

I would probably be more inclined to get somebody who KNOWS what they are doing (maybe the axle shop in Phoenix az or similar shop) to weld proper brackets onto the beams, and make it all correctly forged. (NOT brittled, and not Mild Steel).
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Ya all the aftermarket ones I have seen have a U-bolt or something that goes around the I-beam. I would not drill or weld on them.
Dan
My Build Thread
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

MadMaxetc wrote:Ya all the aftermarket ones I have seen have a U-bolt or something that goes around the I-beam. I would not drill or weld on them.

Not unless somebody REALLY knows what they're doing. Like that shop in Phoenix that drops and/or drills straight axles would be able to do it just fine I'm sure, but anywhere of a lesser degree of expertise would likely not be a good place to get holes drilled in an axle.... And DEFINITELY NOT at home...

I could tell you all about a decent way to mount a bar to a straight axle, but that won't help you...
ImageImageImage
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Addco's been making sway bars for a long time & I'm surprised they'd design a setup that required drilling the I-beam. s_crazy5.gif I'm with you, I don't think I'd be too excited to drill my I-beams.

I see them from time to time on F250 dentsides in boneyards in my area. I'll keep an eye out for one & snag it if I can. :)
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Well guys, I really wanted the swaybar installed so it is. It was definitely a job. I thought it would fit easily but that was not the case. I had to fab some different brackets to mount to the ibeam. The ones supplied didn't stick out far enough for clearance issues. Drilling the ibeams wasn't nearly as big of a problem as I thought it would be. It's only a 7/16 hole and I can't imagine it hurt the strength with all that metal around it. I had to drill the frame also for other end. It was NOT a bolt in kit. About the time I got everything buttoned up UPS showed up with the rear bar. It was not a bolt in affair either. After getting it positioned you have to drill the frame again. In the instructions it says mount to existing holes which are non existent. All said and done about a full days work. Boy having a lift would have made it almost simple. But I'll tell you what, this thing sure handles different now, I haven't had a chance to drive it anywhere but the gas station this evening but I think it's going to make a big difference.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

moonpie wrote:I had to fab some different brackets to mount to the ibeam. The ones supplied didn't stick out far enough for clearance issues.

I hate how they do that... some companies just produce some generic crap that doesn't really fit anything right...
ImageImageImage
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Hey Moonpie,

Can you post some pictures of what was needed to install that swaybar, also the part # and where you got it from and $$?

I am looking at them for me 67 and would like to know if the higher $ ones are any differant.

Thanks!
Dan
My Build Thread
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

I,m trying to get my engineer son to help me with some computer operations like pictures and scanning and alot of stuff really. This thing doesn't have nuts or screws I can adjust, although a hammer would fit it pretty well. If I can get his assistence while he's here for Thanksgiving I'll post a little more info. I did get front and rear bars with free shipping and a 20% discount for ordering them at the same time. Total cost was only $315.00. I guess for that price I couldn't expect it to fit easily. Will post pics later if I can figure out how.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

moonpie wrote:I,m trying to get my engineer son to help me with some computer operations like pictures and scanning and alot of stuff really. This thing doesn't have nuts or screws I can adjust, although a hammer would fit it pretty well. If I can get his assistence while he's here for Thanksgiving I'll post a little more info. I did get front and rear bars with free shipping and a 20% discount for ordering them at the same time. Total cost was only $315.00. I guess for that price I couldn't expect it to fit easily. Will post pics later if I can figure out how.

I can understand. (I am the Engineer son ;) )

When ever you get to it is cool. Have a happy thanksgiving!
Dan
My Build Thread
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Here is a kit from Ford. 1 1/8" front sway bar (Lightning Sway Bar).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RAC ... enameZWD1V
Will it require fabrication?-YES!
Will you need a welder, material and some cutting tools?-YES
Is it a bolt on with little or no effort?- Definately not!
Get to work!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Re: Sway bar

Post by Alan Mclennan »

[quote="moonpie"]I just received my Addco sway bar kit for the front of my 66 twin I-beam. It is pretty generic, nothing like Slickfans.

Hey Slickfan,how about some pic`s of yours while we wait for Moonpies.

You know how we all love pics :lol:

Alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Alan Mclennan wrote:Hey Slickfan,how about some pic`s of yours while we wait for Moonpies.

I don't have one on either one of my Slicks yet, if I misled you guys into thinking I had done a swap, forgive me. :wink:
However, I have posted pics of other swaps (usually swiped from eGouge auctions) & also this one from the belly of my '76 F250 Camper Special. :) I can't see any reason why this won't be a direct bolt-on for an I-beamed Slick...same with the rear sway bar, for that matter.

If anyone would like closer pics of the links, lemme know. :D

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Slick Fan wrote:
Alan Mclennan wrote:Hey Slickfan,how about some pic`s of yours while we wait for Moonpies.

I don't have one on either one of my Slicks yet, if I misled you guys into thinking I had done a swap, forgive me. :wink:
However, I have posted pics of other swaps (usually swiped from eGouge auctions) & also this one from the belly of my '76 F250 Camper Special. :) I can't see any reason why this won't be a direct bolt-on for an I-beamed Slick...same with the rear sway bar, for that matter.

No you didnt slick I missled myself,off with the fairies again :roll: . But yes would like to see links please!

Alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Slick Fan wrote:

snip

The front from a later truck should work fine but not the rear. The 73 and newer trucks got a wider frame except for a few models. The wider frame means a wider bar and the bar from a 73 F250 won't fit a Crew Cab or High Boy from the same years! If you can find a High Boy, Crew Cab or an F350 with a rear sway bar it will fit the 61-72 frame. I got the rear bar for my 76 Crew Cab from a 79 SCS F350 SRW pick up after I bought one from a regular 2 wheel drive and found out that it hit the shocks and springs because it is 3 inches too wide. Hawkrod
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Hawkrod wrote:
The front from a later truck should work fine but not the rear. The 73 and newer trucks got a wider frame except for a few models. The wider frame means a wider bar and the bar from a 73 F250 won't fit a Crew Cab or High Boy from the same years! If you can find a High Boy, Crew Cab or an F350 with a rear sway bar it will fit the 61-72 frame. I got the rear bar for my 76 Crew Cab from a 79 SCS F350 SRW pick up after I bought one from a regular 2 wheel drive and found out that it hit the shocks and springs because it is 3 inches too wide. Hawkrod

That makes sense, thanks for the info Hawk! :cheers:

Alan, I'll try to get some closer pics of the links in a day or so. :) I leave for work in the morning, just after sunup & get home after dark....I want summer back! :x

moonpie

Post by moonpie »

There are some pictures in the personal gallery of moonpie. I was able to load them with the help of that thread about how to load pictures, thanks. I tried to load them to this post, but I don't think I was successful. Will try again another day. I'm off to work shortly, night shift this week. DAMMN.
Kevin

[albumimg]3095[/albumimg]
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Alan Mclennan wrote:But yes would like to see links please!

Well, has it been a day or so yet? :lol:
I gave up trying to get pics in the daylight, so here's some in the dark. They turned out better than I thought they would.

Frame bushings.