my 62 uni build

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

twistedfreak

my 62 uni build

Post by twistedfreak »

New to the forum so i thought id join and show off the uni and try to find so new ford friends,ideas an parts.
heres some picks of the build so far coming along nice for the first straight axle truck and classic i must say. going a little different route but going to with the classy lines that made me buy this rod.

""WE THE WILLING, LED BY THE UNKNOWING, ARE DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE UNGRATEFUL""
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

Heres some more picks of the uni

""WE THE WILLING, LED BY THE UNKNOWING, ARE DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE UNGRATEFUL""
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

Heres the last so far heres where it gets different. I firsdt bought a 3in dropped axle for the truck and wasn't happy with the stance, so i tried to flip the dropped axle and me being a mini trucker saw the idea of y not doing a two linked system on the front thats similar to the model a wishbone set-ups. so heres my idea of the link bars and the front suspension which is going to ride on all 4 corners with QA1 coil overs.

Image[/b]
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

And lastly the gas tank

Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Fascinating. Not quite sure how that front suspension setup is gonna work but sounds like you do. Sharp looking truck once you are all done. Love the Sankey Keg. :rocker:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

Thanks its going to work just like a linked rear end but its going on the front. the lower bars keep the axle from shifting front to back and a track bar will stop it from tracking side to side and the coil overs will be mounted from the lower bars to the hoops that im making now behind the wheels. im hoping to get picks of it this weekend as soon as my bushings come in so i cane tig those in to mount everything and i have a buddy making me some wedges for the pitch of the axle so its the same and the straight axle. sounds hard but its really simple
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

That's a different approach to a front suspension, I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. :D
The Uni looks like it's in pretty good shape, welcome aboard. :welcome:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Welcome to the site. There is always good information and ideas here. I have a '62 uni sb like yours. What front disc brake set up do you have on there? I am going to go with a dropped front axle with spring eyes reversed to get mine down. What did'nt you like about the stance using the dropped axle? I hope you post some pics of the new front end.
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

I didn't like the fact that with going with the 3" axle and taking all the leafs out it didn't really lower it that much and left the axle 1.5" off the ground and roads in Ohio really such , so that wouldn't have worked out too well. as far as the disc brakes i went with speedways kit very simple to install and priced right. the only way to get the stance i wanted was to flip the drop axle and go that way but then i didn't have very much travel.
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

twistedfreak wrote:Heres some more picks of the uni

the top pick is with the drop axle and the leafs blown apart with only 2 and thats the stance it left hardly any drop at all and reversing the eyes would only give me about a 1 to 1.5 more
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

TF, nice truck! So are you using the drop axle with this setup then?
Gary, front discs are pretty easy basically an afternoon job if you don't need to do the king pins.

http://www.fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2647
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

yep going to be a little different well see how it works out, but i think it will be just the way i imagined it to be so ill post picks when i get the bushing in and installed. im using the speedway front disc brake conversion also.
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

well here they are the picks that everyones been waiting to see, including myself because im pretty happy with the way it turned out.

twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

now all im waiting for is the coilovers and the front suspension can be taken back off and powder coated and the track bar made.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

How are you dealing with the torsional forces developed when the wheels arc up and down independent of each other?

Neat setup.

Garbz
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

are you meaning the up and down motion of them. with the range that they move the geometry doesnt change that much and once the track bar gets installed it will lock in place, the coil overs only let it travel 3-4"
'
Comet

Post by Comet »

Are you going to put some kind of a stop or lip on the arms where they attach to the axle/U-bolt? I'd hate for those to slide out if the u-bolts loosen.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

they have a 5/16 allen for an alignment set screw just like on the leafs.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I would suggest extending the links slightly and using two u-bolts each (four total), just to be safe.

What's the wall thickness on that tubing?

How much caster change do you expect the axle to see throughout its travel? I can see that being a potential issue. Also, I believe what Garbz was getting at with his question was whether or not there will be any bindng when one coilover is at full compression and the other at full extension. That's something you may want to find out and address before powdercoating.

I'm interested to see where you end up mounting the coilovers and panhard bar, and how it all works together, so keep us posted. Should be a cool setup.