Radiator: What fits a 61-F-100?

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

roccosand

Post by roccosand »

Against my restoration principals, what I have done is put a 400 CID Lincoln motor and C6 Transmission in my 61 F-100 Unibody (Rocco’s Unibody pictures). I bought it without or Rad. Since it is a rare treasure I prefer not to make too many drastic modifications, so that I can restore it back to Original, after me and the boy have some fun.

I apologize for asking and I have made a diligent effort to find the article. I believe reading that a Ford Van radiator (I forgot what year) fits with little modifications to the Radiator frame. I’ll need the shroud and a few miscellaneous parts also (like the A/C condencer), that’s why I’m going the salvage route. I prefer the Tran. cooler be part of the Rad., rather than add a cooler. Could some one point me to it or let me know.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A GMC owner that has seen the (Ford) Light

Rock
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

In my 62, I used a 390 radiator. Seems like I had to have a radiator shop put the mounting brackets on backwards, but it's been 10-15 years.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

you can flip the brackets on later model radiators and get a proper fit and look. you can also try to locate a radiator for a 61- 64 big truck -f350, f500 etc with v8, these have extra rows of cores but do not have the trans cooler.you can also take the brackets from one of these and have them installed on your new radiator.
it is notably hard to find a early 60s specific radiator, ask your supplier to see the spec book that lists core dimensions, inlet and outlet sizes , and location on tank left,right or center.
i ended up using a 65 352 radiator for my 292, the 352 bottom hose fit ok, the top one needed a new hose having a different size on both ends.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

We used a 86 Ford van radiator in my son's 63. Had to remove the brackets and flip them around to fit the core support. Was afraid if I soldered them back on, I might disturb the solder in the core so we "glued" the brackets back on with RTV silicone sealant.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

if you solder your own radiator, you need to use acid core solder with lead.getting harder to find. i bought the last one at my local hardware, now i have to get it at a welding supply due to the lead content.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
roccosand

Thanks for the 61 F-100 Radiator Tips

Post by roccosand »

I see,

Well I knew there was no easy way, but thats just the begining.

Rock