Cost of hiring a car hauler?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

The Big M
Canada

Cost of hiring a car hauler?

Post by The Big M »

What should I expect to pay to haul my slick over a distance of about 600 miles? I'm just looking for ballpark figures.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

You are gonna find them in the ballpark of a buck Canadian a mile I would think, plus GST and if you hire them in Sask. plus provincial tax, and some charge to load and unload non running vehicles on top of that. Provided they pick up and drop off on or near main highways , i.e. #1 highway in Sask. You will pay more for boonieville.

...so if you can be all in at $600 I'd say you are doing good.
You would shell that on gas both ways easily anyway, if you towed it yourself.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Birddog63

Post by Birddog63 »

I'm going thru this right now too.
Like Johnny Canuck said $1.00 a mile(in the states too...go figure!) rates here can go as high as$3.50/mile (through Fed Ex).
Watch your choice of carrier VERRRY carefully and avoid shipping brokers!!! I got burned once on a broker deal where it wound up taking 2 months longer than needed or promised!
(My truck is coming in on a trailer that would otherwise be deadheading from Kentucky to Iowa.)
He just takes his tractor another round....another round......another round....

A closed mouth gathers no foot!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yeah I got suckered in on the broker thing too, when trying to get my Uni shipped up from Nebraska.

Deal D I R E C T with the shipping co. and make sure that you are.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Comet

Post by Comet »

I dealt with a broker and had good experience. Ignorance is bliss! :lol:
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
beagle

Post by beagle »

I paid $500 bucks to have my Uni transported from Rhode Island to PA, it wasn't the cheapest or most expensive( got some quotes of over 750) but they were the ones who guaranteed the day and time window... made the price worth it.

Beagle
Beagle
61 unibody
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i charged a flat $800 to haul a wrecked Mercedes the 270 miles from here to Fairbanks.used 50 gals of diesel which cost me $125 , 10 hours on the road on a bad icy day= $67.50 per hour less meals insurance and wear and tear.first time i bid $850 and the insurance co. said no thanks.talked to a friend, he told me to use the $800 bid as they would pay it no problem .
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Trukcrazy

Post by Trukcrazy »

I am having my second 67 F250 Crewcab shipped from Pa. to NW Florida for $1424.00 door to door. That includes $200.00 for up to $50,000 damage protection. My first 67 F250 Crewcab from Conneticut to NW Florida was a little over $1500.00 door to door with the same $200.00 for $50,000 worth of loss damage. This was with DAS and I hope my second experience is just as good. Call them and get a free quote. Good luck. :)
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Shiping is killer on anything today. I do have one suggestion, for those that want to try it. Uship.com it's an interesting concept, and fun to check out. Whenever I travel, I allways check and see if someone wants something hauled. Might help costs on trip. Which brings up something I've thought on for some time. Would be nice to have a place on the site to post for hauling needs. I presently have a tailgate in Appleton Wisconson, I need hauled south towards Illinois.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

We have started a new division in our Company :hello: which our ad should be in Hemmings in a month or so hauling from non-running vehicle, project vehicles to oversize pieces like beds cabs & if its something that is say something that we think might not meet your standards say if pictures the seller sent to you are not what you expect to get we will call before loading to give you our opinion & we take our own pics,, we have a enough rigging equipment to handle most needs. We had a 1960 Crew Cab that we sold told the buyer that it does not run, Shipper knew it but still sent a tractor/trailer with only ramps, so it was a good thing we had our wrecker so we had to do a lot of work to get it up there that was not our job but how many will do that for somebody.. Example ask Banjo-Picker about what we did for him in Az. on a 65 truck for him,, he did not get the truck but if he sent some general carrier they would have picked it up brought it back East & POW Surprise, Surprise ... :cry: Of course we like anybody else can make mistakes since we all our only Human... Our Rates our based on where in the country & how fast you want it, Special Trips that want fast service is $ 1.00 per mile empty/loaded round trip,, Example were sitting home on a Wed., phone rang a Local Trucking Company asked what I was doing, said nothing & he said that we have a VW In Glendale Az. to be picked up Friday & back in NC Monday nite asked me what the cost was priced it @ 3600 told me to come get a check for deposit & instructions for pick up I don't know what the Trucking Company charged but sometimes special services can get high just like Fed-Ex or Ups on next day air or some on the same service Just How Bad Do You Want It anyaway here is our :2cents:
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Thanks for the input, everybody.

I think I may stick with the original plan. There's no rush, so I'll probably take a few trips back to SK, get it running, and drive it home in the spring. :D
Birddog63

Post by Birddog63 »

Getting her running and driving it back is a great way to go if you have the option. It'll give you some time to get to know all the quirks of the vehicle along the way...

I apologise for the hijack...

Junkyard dog, do you have an ad on Ebay too?? I just got a quote from someone in NC on there to ship my 63. I'm calling them tomorrow.
He just takes his tractor another round....another round......another round....

A closed mouth gathers no foot!
F-100XL

Cost of hauling

Post by F-100XL »

Hey Tom,
I know what you mean on picking up vehicles for sombody else. I picked up a 66 F-250 and a trailer for Banjo over in Jersey, there a little while back. It, it`t self was a "hurt puppy", but It had a bunch of parts, that the guy threw in, that it made it worthwile. When I get achance, I occasionally will haul a truck, an antique tractor, or here lately, I have been hauling a few "Amish Freightliners"(Buggys). These are new ones with hydralic brakes and alternators for lights and, for the ones that can get away with it,"Radios"(stereos). The price on some of these buggys are up around 2,800 to 3,600 deneros.
Good talking to ya.
Bill.
XL