Best Retail Parts Source?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ripsnorter

Best Retail Parts Source?

Post by ripsnorter »

I've been doing some digging, and I'm wondering what the best source for new parts is. New Old Stock is of course the best, but what of some of these other companies and their new reproduction parts? anyone have any experience?

Blue Oval Truck Parts

Auto Krafters Inc (check out their catalog for 53-72 F series)

Anyone know if either of those are any good?

I also have a few questions about parts fitting for different years. I see and hear the term "styleside" and I know what stepside is, (narrow box with fenders on the outside with running boards) and I assumed styleside was the same thing. Any difference?

I also see parts listed for things like Tailgates for 53-72 stepside, but nothing for 61-66 wide box. is that because the fridge box 61-63 uses the same tailgate as the stepsides?

Any links you folks have on a breakdown of parts interchangability would be appreciated as well. Plus any good sites that sell good quality material.

I'm looking for parts that fit and are of decent quality for things like:

Headliners
Patch Panels
Floor Pans
Lights and lens covers etc
Rubber, gaskets etc
Chrome, Trim, Emblems etc.
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Check out the "Links" section, there are a lot of places to look for parts. But most everyone says Dennis Carpenter is the best.

Styleside is to Ford as Fleetside is to Chevrolet.

Tailgate for 64-66 are not repopped, but the 67-72 fit right, just have different letter style. Fridge box gate (used on 61-63) is different than the flareside(aka stepside)
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Mike is 100% correct in his assessments.
2 of the best parts houses for Slicks are Dennis Carpenter and Carolina Classics, both in North Carolina.

to further complicate matters, the fridge box, when first issued on the 1957 models, was called a "Flushside" or is sometimes called a "Slabside" box. It has it's own unique tailgate, not the same as a flareside.These tailgates are hard to find and not repopped.

Ford didn't call them "Styleside" until the Unibody, which was different again from the '64 with a separate box. The new improved' 64- up box matched the body lines better than the Flushside box, and was also called Styleside.

Confused Yet? LOL Lucky you don't have a 4x4 :wink:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

I like LMC Truck out of Lenexa KS. They ship fast and take returns without a fuss.

Other posters have had negative comments on their rubber cab weatherstrip, but I have bought lots of mechanical and electrical parts that fit fine. Never bought any tin from them, so no recommendations there.
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Dennis Carpenter DOES sell repop fridge gates. Page 105 of 162 in the online catalog.

B7C-9940700-A Style Side Tailgate - No Hardware - F100-250 - Imported 1957-63 400.00 ea.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

I don't like LMC as they have screwed up every order I have placed with them. The parts are also cheep IMHO. I don't even get there cataloge anymore.

DC, CC and BOTP are all good (in that order.)

If you want to know about specific parts, just ask, we will set you straight!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

Thanks a lot guys. and for your patience in my not noticing the links forum heh.

I'm not positive what all parts I need yet, I mainly wanted to know where to look.

The only parts I know for sure that I need are mirrors and armrests. Neither of those I'm in too big of a hurry to get though at the moment. I'm also not sure which mirrors I want to get, as there seem to be 2 different mirrors available. Not sure if theyre both correct for 62s though.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

mikecarson wrote:Dennis Carpenter DOES sell repop fridge gates. Page 105 of 162 in the online catalog.

B7C-9940700-A Style Side Tailgate - No Hardware - F100-250 - Imported 1957-63 400.00 ea.

Well paint my ears with honey and tie me to an anthill !! :lol:
Thats good news
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
mikecarson wrote:Dennis Carpenter DOES sell repop fridge gates. Page 105 of 162 in the online catalog.

Well paint my ears with honey and tie me to an anthill !! :lol:
Thats good news

nothing good about imported parts, if DC did not make them.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I think, like the uni tailgates being manufactuered in south America somewhere, the Ford dies were sent south and have been recovered there to stamp out these repops, Ice.
Ford dies, who cares if they are stamped in Brazil?
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I don't know about Brazilian steel, but quite often steel from other countries isn't up to par with north American steel...so tailgates & other body sheetmetal doesn't end up as strong as originals.

However, if it must be made in some other country, I'd rather have it be Brazil than friggin' China, I suppose.

Speaking of repop stuff, have any of you bought one of the repopped dash pads yet? I'm just wondering if they're really worth the $450 price tag *cough,cough* :shock:
A nice, new, soft dash pad sure does sound good, though.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Even Taiwan is better than no parts.
The first guy who starts stamping out hoods will get my business.

On the original topic, let's not forget Tom at Flashback F100s. Nobody else is bringing solid western sheet metal back for us. He carries DC and CC parts also.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Yep, I use Tom as much as I can and he answers the phone, plus you find no more knowledgable person on parts on these trucks and he's one of us.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

.. doh double post :oops:
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on December 7, 2006, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

It's the shipping on hoods that kills you, Dwight. I have been involved with the virtual give-away of 3 almost perfect hoods here. You can't sell them, no one can afford the shipping.

Same problem with Cabs. Idaho seems to be Cab heaven, at least on Ebay. How do you get one home though? and one more.. those crazy step side fenders with the cutout for a spare tire. Those things used to be thick as flys on a watermelon around here, everyone with a fat-fender took them OFF their trucks. But no one wants to pay to ship one.
Comet

Post by Comet »

Johnny Canuck wrote:.. doh double post :oops:

Did you know you can delete posts? Click the blue "X" next to the edit/quote option.
Sorry, back on topic.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Metal from South America has been in the Fords dating back to the 50's.. On my 56 Panel Truck when I took the front end apart on the Lower grill panel was stamped Made in Argentina & on the air deflectors Made in Brazil,, This 56 Panel had no DSO Codes & was sold as a Fleet Company Vehicle & back then Fleet Vehicles had to sold through Canada then come back in the USA & Just up to a few years ago you could get some of the early Ford Cars & Sheet metal still there but play heck to get back in this country,,61/66 Hood Hinges come out of South America,, 57-63 Gates & 61/63 Gates also,, All 61/64 supports, inner fenders & front fenders come from Tawain Oh yes I said 61/64 inner fenders have seen in person in OK How they fit :?: Who Knows :?:
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Where is the best place to get carpet for a 66 F100? I am going to put bucket seats in my 66 so I need a carpet that will go all the way back and not just stop in front of the bench seat and stop at the sides, basically I need the entire floor covered. I wanted a light tan but looks like noone makes it in light tan so I will have to go with black...
Also how about a tailgate shaved handle kit that relocates the handle inside and also shave the tailgate itself smooth? Reason I ask this is because my tailgate has all those little round pinch like welds and the letters are wavy, etc so it would take HOURS AND HOURS to smooth that thing out and get small sand paper in there to sand flat.
The carpet and insulation is the next biggest thing I need though and then the tailgate thing can come later...
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

try these guys
http://www.accmats.com/
they make them
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Thanks a lot, that is just what I needed. I will have to sign up I guess and register there to get prices and do the shop online link?