'64 Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

crey

'64 Project

Post by crey »

I've been reading the posts a bit and can tell that the stepside trucks aren't too popular.. well, that's alright, because i'm getting rid of the step bed as soon as I can find a straight bed to throw on this old '64.

Here's the link to the Hub garage:
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/crey

And here's the most current pics I have, taken just a couple of weeks ago:

I have no idea why that roller tray is back there!!

This past weekend, we managed to get the old man out of the 20 year old holes it had sunk itself into.
And to be honest with you, it just didn't want to come out!
After an hour or so of tugging and jacking and digging, it finally came out.
But, it didn't roll... I'm pretty sure I noticed the back wheels rocking front and back, but the fronts are toast.
We finally decided the truck won after a couple of hours contemplating what to do to get it out.
I went to town and picked up some spray to loosen up the lug nuts.
Hopefully next weekend I can make it back out to break the lugs free, and take the wheels down to get some tires that will at least hold air.
No, I didn't get any pics of the huge embarrasing failure, I was too busy trying NOT to get stuck in the leg by all of the cactus!!

I'll post pics of our progress next week if we get a chance to go back out.

While were waiting, anyone ever do a frame swap on one of these?
If I were to find a straight bed for it, will the beds just swap without too much persuasion?
I don't mind working on it, or fabricating, I just kinda need a good idea on what i'm up against if anyone else has went down that road before me!!
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

I love the Flareside beds. I own 4 different flareside trucks. The beds should swap out easy & so should the frame of a newer truck.
Tom Williams
crey

Post by crey »

36truck wrote:I love the Flareside beds. I own 4 different flareside trucks. The beds should swap out easy & so should the frame of a newer truck.

Thanks for the reply!!

So... when you say "newer truck".... 70's? 80's?
Does it strictly need to be an F100 frame, or can it be a newer F150?
Honestly, I dont think the frame is too bad off.
I mean, from what I've seen of it, there seems to be very little rust at all.. other than surface rust.

Also, did the Flareside come in both long and short beds?

These are just general questions, anyone can jump in!!
I have a lot more history with 67-72 chevy trucks, so, my knowledge is pretty good on what's what... just wanting to get a good idea about the ford scene before having to step backwards on something I get started on.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

36truck wrote:I love the Flareside beds. I own 4 different flareside trucks. The beds should swap out easy & so should the frame of a newer truck.

i like them too. if you were close by and the truck was a long wheelbase i would gladly trade you a styleside bed for it .
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Frame up to 79 will work both F100 & F150. Yes both long & short box & also a 9' long box used on some F250 & F350 trucks.

If you end up not using your Flareside bed let me know I might be able to use it.

Where are you located?
Tom Williams
crey

Post by crey »

Also, has aonyone successfully converted the I-Beam setup to a more modern front end?
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to leaving the I-Beam?

Of course, I want to squat this bad boy into the grass as low as I can get it without spending a fortune, and keeping along with the more traditional HotRod sense.
Keeping the I-Bean would be my ultimate goal if I am able to achieve my goal.
I've seen this model truck sitting right down on it's frame.. but not too sure
how it got that way, or let me rephrase that, what techniques were used to get it down that low while retaining the I-Beam setup.
And before anyone starts talking "Airbags"... I would love to.. but, just not on this particular ride.
I want this one straight up HotRod.. in the traditional sense.
I'm keeping the 223 if it's not completely toast.
I took out the dipstick, the oil really didnt look/smell all that bad.
It wasn't grey, that's for sure!!!
crey

Post by crey »

36truck wrote:Frame up to 79 will work both F100 & F150. Yes both long & short box & also a 9' long box used on some F250 & F350 trucks.

If you end up not using your Flareside bed let me know I might be able to use it.

Where are you located?

Dallas, Tejas... :)
Let me get the bed off of it first.
i know that I can get a wood kit for it if i decide to
keep it.. and man... I love the way that wood looks in the
bed... but I'm torn between keeping the step, and going the other route.
It's going to be a pretty big decision for me.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Some of the guy's have used a mono leaf to lower their truck some have used the Dakota front susp.
Tom Williams
crey

Post by crey »

36truck wrote:Some of the guy's have used a mono leaf to lower their truck some have used the Dakota front susp.

ahhh... I bet the Dakota front end wouldn't be hard to find at some pick-n-pull for little to nothing.
That's a pretty good idea... I'lll have to hit the PnP soon and check that out.
Thanks for the info!!
crey

Post by crey »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:

i like them too. if you were close by and the truck was a long wheelbase i would gladly trade you a styleside bed for it .

That sounds like a plan!
Now all I need to do is get some measurements from the bed to figure out if it's a longbed.. do you know if the body tag says if it's this or that?
Or can you tell by the pics if it's one or the other?
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

By your pics you have a short box. Also the Dakota install needs a new cross member from Industrial Chassis in Phoenix Az.
Here is one of the builds.

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9568
Tom Williams
bluebolt

Truck

Post by bluebolt »

Go to the Pate swap meet next month for "mini Slick Stock"
The Dakota front end is the one I would do, plenty of them in th junkyards here.
If you can't get the tires to turn you can still load it on a trailer using several big garbage bags under the tires. They will let it slide on the trailer surface. Jack it up high in the front using bottle jacks and cribbing or big floor jacks on the frame behind the front tires. Back the trailer up under the front of the truck and let the front tires down on the garbage bags on the trailer deck. Use a winch or come-along to start pulling the truck on the trailer. If the rear tires will roll it will hopefully go up.
crey

Re: Truck

Post by crey »

bluebolt wrote:Go to the Pate swap meet next month for "mini Slick Stock".

Funny you mentioned that!
I've been waiting a few months for this event to happen.
But, that was before I knew I would be working on this Ford project..
I read somewhere about it being "Slickstock" this year.. and it may just very well be a blessing in disguise.
I should have the truck thoroughly torn apart by then, and have a pretty good list going to take to the meet.
This is the best part of taking on a project this size.. Of course you would like to have the ability to snap your fingers and it would magically finish itself, but half of the fun of it is figuring out what you can do that is unique or finding that one rare part that no one this side of the earth has, and then finding it at a swap meet.

The Dakota suspension looks like a winner.
I've been reading up on it most of the morning.
We'll see!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
I'm going to try and find some more builds on the internet and see what others have or have not done.

Again, any and all suggestions/comments/concerns are welcome.
Open and looking forward to any and all suggestions/ideas/experiences.
PFM-64f100

Re: Truck

Post by PFM-64f100 »

crey wrote:
bluebolt wrote:Go to the Pate swap meet next month for "mini Slick Stock".

Funny you mentioned that!
I've been waiting a few months for this event to happen.
But, that was before I knew I would be working on this Ford project..
I read somewhere about it being "Slickstock" this year.. and it may just very well be a blessing in disguise.
I should have the truck thoroughly torn apart by then, and have a pretty good list going to take to the meet.
This is the best part of taking on a project this size.. Of course you would like to have the ability to snap your fingers and it would magically finish itself, but half of the fun of it is figuring out what you can do that is unique or finding that one rare part that no one this side of the earth has, and then finding it at a swap meet.

The Dakota suspension looks like a winner.
I've been reading up on it most of the morning.
We'll see!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
I'm going to try and find some more builds on the internet and see what others have or have not done.

Again, any and all suggestions/comments/concerns are welcome.
Open and looking forward to any and all suggestions/ideas/experiences.

When you come to Pate you will have at least 2 different trucks to look at that have the Dak front end. Mine is the 64 with a 460 in it and Dave (Wolfee) has his and a 5.0L FI with AOD in his.

We both now have power windows in our trucks they are so much nicer that way. only cost us about $35 in parts to convert.

Oh and I can not see how good your front sheet metal is but I have a complete front clip in decent shape at my place. Plus a bunch of others parts.... (ex: 352 and 4 speed tranny, 351C, front clip, in cab gas tank, and some other stuff.. Man I have some stuff to haul up to pate). Yea come by it's gonna be a party plus we have the Friday night gig at my house again this year.
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Crey, Great start to your build site!, :cry: but it`s not the real Slick Stock year, It`s just a Tejas thingy!,
Oh Yeah!, is there any history on the 64 you know of?
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

my vote is to keep the bed, the short stepsides look nice...IMO
coil helper springs in back....that is unique !
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I like flaresides too. I love the roller floor you have - easy to get a REALLY loaded beer cooler to the tailgate that way! I was in Dallas Friday. :mrgreen:
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

body looks pretty straight and stacks before stacks were cool.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
crey

Post by crey »

-- PFM-64f100 --
I'll be sure to come by and talk with you out at Pate.

-- Alan Mclennan --
All I know about the truck is that it has sat out in this field for 20 something years. And to the "slick stock" name, must have been one helluva meet to earn a nickname!

-- slick4x4 --
I'm torn between keeping the bed, and not.
As for the coils, I'm not sure if they came stock or not. Prev. Owner may have added them... i'll soon find out!

-- Greg D --
No clue how the roller floor came to pass. Knowing the prev. owner, there's no telling what he used it for.... probably put it in there just because the floor rotted out. :)

-- exernut9mm --
Yeah, the stacks are on both sides... holes cut right into the step :(
The driver side pipe is about as high as the top of the bed.. rotted off over time.

-------------------

Everyone.
Thanks for your intrest and replies.
I'm going to keep up with this thread and post every single move I make with the truck from start to finish.
There won't be a lack of information, that's for sure.
Look forward to meeting everyone who makes the Swap Meet.
If anyone else who posts here is going to go, or have a "booth", let me know and i'll be sure to stop by and kick the dirt.
crey

Post by crey »

Well, not much happening on my build.
Everyone has been sick in one way or another, and well, it just hasn't been in the cards to get anything done.

I may go out there and fart with it this weekend if I get a chance.
Pretty much what needs to be done at this point is get the wheels off it, and get some tires on there that will hold air.
The ones that are on it are dry rotted, and flat as a pancake from sitting so long.. hell, they may even hold air... I doubt it though.
As long as the rim bead isn't broken anywhere, they may.
Just have to see..

If I decide to go out and do anything with it, I'll be sure to either take photos, or take a photo taker with me!

Have a great weekend everyone... and WORK ON A PROJECT!!