'64 Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

crey wrote:
-- Greg D --
No clue how the roller floor came to pass. Knowing the prev. owner, there's no telling what he used it for.... probably put it in there just because the floor rotted out. :)

"If you have ever unloaded your truck by backing up real fast and slamming on the brakes - You might be a redneck!"
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
crey

Post by crey »

Greg D wrote:
crey wrote:
-- Greg D --
No clue how the roller floor came to pass. Knowing the prev. owner, there's no telling what he used it for.... probably put it in there just because the floor rotted out. :)

"If you have ever unloaded your truck by backing up real fast and slamming on the brakes - You might be a redneck!"

hahahah
Yeah, you're probably right!!

Well, no new progress.
Yes, I went out there on Saturday.
Yes, I managed to get a little bit done...
I managed to stir up a few Yellow Jackets, Red Wasps, and whatever else decided to come check out the 6ft turd stupid enough to come wandering
into their territory.

Yeah, I think I probably waited too long in the year to rescue the ol' boy from it's 20 year resting spot.
It's aparent to me that everything from the vegitation to the surrounding wildlife have decided that this truck is here to stay.. and it's not letting go without a fight.
Hell, the truck itself, if it really wanted to leave, it would have let us drag her out of there the last time we tried.

So, I now have a new obstical to overcome.. Wasps.

Anyone have any dealings with Wasps, other than the buisness end of these persistent little critters?
If I would have been smart, I would have planned the trip out there for Suday morning when it was nice and cold, and probably wouldn't have seen a one of them.. but noooooooo... I have to go on Saturday, when it's well over 80... My luck. If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any.
I looked and looked for a nest, killed a few in the process, but never really came across a definitive "nest".
Now, considering the amount of them flying around AFTER I killed 4 of them, there's a bunch of 'em... somewhere.
Where that lot is, I don't want to know.. I just want them to stay away.

This reminds me of something that happened a few weeks ago.
I woke up one morning and put on the shirt I had on the night before.
That shirt was on the floor right beside me.
After putting it on, I felt this STING on my stomach, instantly thinking I had just been the victim of another brown recluse, I quickly ripped off the shirt, holding the part of the shirt I was pretty sure contained the attacker, all while doing this little dance jig i like to call "HOLY S#!T I'VE JUST BEEN STUNG!!!!".
Went to the bathroom, still holding the wadded up part of the shirt, standing over the toilet I slowly opened my fist and I could just see the tell-tale abdomen of, yep.. you guessed it, a Yellow Jacket.
Yeah, it hurt. Yeah, he drown quickly after that.
But.. you know.. there's just something that doesn't frighten me about the whimpy little Yellow Jackets.. now, these red ones... They look pretty healthy. They look like something I really wouldn't want to piss off.

So, yeah.
Sorry for the rambling.

Anyone have any advice or past experience with these stupid things?
Here's a picture of anyone wondering what I'm dealing with..

Any ideas?
I need maybe 3-4 hrs of Wasp-Free time with this truck.
Anyone know of anything I can spray in the surrounding trees, anything I can burn that will make them go bye-bye while I get my business done?
I'm a pretty big fan of Survivorman, and he says that burning cow patties works pretty well with flying insects..
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

i never met a bug yet that wouldnt go to sleep with the help of a quart of gasoline...
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
65Lover
United States of America

Post by 65Lover »

:shock: :shock: You too?!! My '68 Cougar came with the exact same guests! Lower left hand corner of pic
[albumimg]5421[/albumimg]

Nothing worked but the spray cans of wasp killer, early in the morning. Luckily they spray from 15 feet away for the angry ones that take flight from the nest after it's sprayed!! Opened the doors to expose 3x6 inch nests in the fender areas FULL of the Red Devils! Spray and RUN FAST!! LOL :D :D
Ruth
'65 F-100 Custom Cab SB Styleside
'67 Ford Mustang FB
'68 Mercury Cougar

Slickstock Altoona Iowa
Slickstock Salina Kansas
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

Can of brake cleaner works just as well and is cheaper. Been dealing with Wasps for years at my buddies wrecking yard. They go through at least a case a year. Fastest shot in the west.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

What make of Wasp are they?, We have mud wasps and Paper Wasps the latter is a real pain!, they build their nest under eaves on houses and anywhere there is some shelter, A lit sheet of news paper held under the nest at dawn or dusk does them in real quick, it melts their wings and they cant run fast! th_crafty.gif

http://www.waite.adelaide.edu.au/europeanwasp/assets/polistesnest.jpg
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
63BIGWINDOW

Post by 63BIGWINDOW »

Do the step bed,almost all you see done is a fleetside,plus fresh stained wood against new paint looks killer.
The brake cleaner trick works great,kinda pricey though,keep us posted with the progress.
63 big window shop truck
93 2wd lightning/bronco-wifes driver
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Crey: Where are you located? If you decide to go with a style side rather than the flare, I have a good 64 short style side bed that we might be able to work a swap on. Tailgate has a small rusted through place but the bed floor is the best I've seen (had a camper cover on it).
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Crey: Where are you located? If you decide to go with a style side rather than the flare, I have a good 64 short style side bed that we might be able to work a swap on. No rush from my end.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
crey

Post by crey »

Gritsngumbo: You may just have yourself a stepside. I'ts going to be a pretty hard decision, but I'll know once I get the truck into the shop and get to working on it. I'm in Dallas.
Once I get the truck into the shop and get everything torn down, I'll let you know what I'm going to do, I still haven't decided yet. But, thank you very much for the offer. Please keep me in mind!
crey

Post by crey »

UPDATE!!

Ok, well.. I got the wasp traps in place and witing for them to do their magic.
It was pretty cool Saturday morning, so I didn't see a one.. but by mid afternoon, yep..

The thing with me is, my mind is running a million miles a minute, and I get distracted.

My distraction yesterday is the shop I'm going to work on it in.
It's trashed.
MY brother-in-law kindly left it in a state of shambles when he moved.
So, that took up 90% of my day.. BUT.. I did manage to break the lug nuts loose.. so it's all downhill from there.
This coming weekend I plan on taking the rims down to a tire shop that's not too far down the road and getting some old used tires put on so I can pull it around to the shop instead of drag it.

My b.i.l. left his 70 something bug in the shop, disassembled.
Crap everywhere, ran into a black widow (which I wasn't too suprised).
The roof was wind damaged, so I had to repair that.
I drug everything that wasnt bolted down out of the shop, except for the bug.
I'm going to get a few tarps and tarp it off since all of the windows are out of it, and sit it outside to get my truck inside.
Oh, I also need to build some doors for the shop.. yeah, it's epic.
Something happed to my hand, so that kind of put a pinch in most of what I wanted to get done. I'm not real sure what I did to it, but it started hurting anytime I would move the first couple of fingers..
Later on that afternoon we got a hail/rain storm so I called it quits.
I left the wasp traps out there.
Hopefully they'll do their magic and I can get the wheels off to get tires next weekend.

I'll add some pics in a little bit.
I was so busy working on the shop that I didn't get a chance to take any pics of that mess.
I'll be sure to get some next time I'm out there.
I tried to get my wife to be the photographer... I don't think she's too interested though.
crey

Post by crey »

I got a couple of pics from the top side of the Tranny, but wanted to ask if anyone knew what this model came with factory?
I'm pretty sure it's the original that came with it.
crey

Post by crey »

Here's some pics from Saturday..

Bumper damage...

A foot further than it's been in years...

Step damage, driver side the same...

What I used to break the lugs free....

Carb shot..

The horn.. is this factory??

The starter... almost as big as the engine...

Break juice bucket...

The infamous "Wasp Trap" #1....
... notice the lack there-of...

"Wasp Trap" #2...
...same here....

Welp, hope everyone likes the photos.
This weekend hopefully I might MIGHT get that truck over at least in front of the shop.
I still have a ton of work to get the shop ready enough to pull the truck into and be able to actually work on it.
But, this is something I've gotta get done.
Too bad I don't have more time to work on it.
Hopefully there aren't any more injuries here on out.
crey

Post by crey »

crey

Post by crey »

Well... I've pretty much given up on this project.
The owner can't seem to find the title... and I'm not spending another minute on someon else's truck without getting paid for it... if you know what I mean.
So, this build is officially dead.
Sucks, too... I wanted to get this beast running.
Oh well.. I've got another truck, a '72 GMC that DOES have the title.
And it'll be mine in a few short months.
Thanks for everyones help/ideas/suggestions!!
ebentraywick

1961 ford f350

Post by ebentraywick »

thats crazy look at my truck same color. cal trans oarnge.
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/example/2910192942/]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVFhcYOG4tI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-aSNzE ... re=related