Insurance Question...AGAIN

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64Ranger

Insurance Question...AGAIN

Post by 64Ranger »

I know this topic has been talked to death, but what type or brand of insurance have you guys gotten for your trucks? I am putting the finishing touches on mine and need to get it on the road, but I need insurance that my insurance company cannot handle.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Doug
Riverside, CA
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

http://www.hagerty.com/

this is the one I have heard others talking about Doug. might try it myself, when the time comes,

Sure you don't have any power steering or brakes questions? Charlie is waiting... :wink:

PS.. PICS we need pics
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

we're all such pic junkies. kinda sad in a way. You'd think there would be more important things in life than drooling over pictures of some silly old ford truck.

Sadly, there isnt much ;-)
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

There are always sports magazines!

Heard some have an interesting January edition. 8)
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Doug,
I use Allstate special Vehicle insurance. You must have your other cars covered under regular Allstate ins. But it seems like pretty good policy.
$15K total loss, full collision,comprehensive, and all the normal stuff for $200 @ 6 months.

You can name the value.

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Tim get a quote from Hagerty or Grundy. I have Hagerty and I bet your insurance premium would be half of your current fee. And that is with no deductible at an agreed value on your truck. I insure a 56 panel, son's 63, and my 66 for under $400/year.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Comet

Post by Comet »

http://www.americanhobbyist.com/index.htm
You won't find any better, if you qualify.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Hey Tim, I have my trucks under Allstate special policy too, They didn't say nothing to me about having my other cars with them. My newer cars are under Gieco. I've had no problems with them.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

I have seen Grundy advertised alot. I went to their website to get a quote and for $25,000 stated value it was about $195/year with unlimited mileage. Has anyone heard any bad things about this company. Most of the classic car insurance programs limit your mileage, but mine is a daily driver (very low miles) and I want coverage to bring it back to the conditon it is in now in case of an accident.
Thanks for all the info...
Doug
Riverside, CA
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Well maybe I should do some more checking around. I was pressed for time as I finished my truck the day before SlickStock and got it safety inspected and insured at 5 PM.

I seem to recall Grundy telling me that the truck had to be garaged, had mileage limits, and 15K was $456 a year.

I will look more into it.

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

JC Taylor
Modified Auto Insurance agency,Inc.
PO Box 2099
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania 19082-2099

www.jctaylor.com
Sent in their forms with required pics. Told them that it was not original. Engine was a 427,Auto.
$150.00 per year. Keep your answers honest.
Jim
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Guys.
Its a very simple thing to figure out.
If you go with your regular insurance company they're going to rip you because you're driving a non-standard vehicle. I've had State Farm for 45 years or more and they were still going to hit me with almost $500 American just for basic liability coverage.
What you want is someone that is in the business of covering vehicles like ours and who understand the care, maintanence and upkeep they get.
Understanding that the owners spend countless hours and money on their particular obsession means they're generally not going to risk stupid damage to it or take un-necessary chances with it. Thus the lower premiums.
Thats why I went with Hagerty and am getting FULL coverage on Nadine for $125 per year.
Thats 10k value on the truck, 40k uninsured motorists, 150k liability, and $0 deductible and free towing.
AND, I like the agent.
If you're interested, I'd be glad to refer you to him.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
a2z64

Post by a2z64 »

Skip I think your State Farm agent was ripping you off. I have State Farm and have $25,000 coverage on my 64 with 100,000 uninsured motorists, 100,000 liability and emergency road service all for $200 a year. All they asked me when I put a value on it was to see some documentation. I came back with a stack of receipts about 4" thick, she took one look and said OK!
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I have the same coverage as Skip but with a different company. I can tell you my regular insurance company couldn't touch the coverage or premium I have with Taylor.
Jim
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

a2z64 wrote:Skip I think your State Farm agent was ripping you off.

Or is just stupid.
Mine is insured through SF on a collector vehicle policy for a few hundred per year, fully covered. Unless this isn't offered in TX, your agent is was a knucklehead. :shock:
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

My full coverage is $150.00 per year, Skips is $125.00 per year. Yours is a few hunderd a year? and our agents are knuckle heads? Sounds like someone doesn't understand basic math.............
Jim
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Make sure with the "regular" insurance companies that your agent actually knows what they are writing you. I once had an Am Fam agent write me a commercial vehicle policy, I ran the truck with them for a year and suddenly got cancelled??????, turns out that Am Fam doesn't have those types of comercial policies and it would have been a huge nightmare for me and the insurance company if there had been an accident. I wasn't really covered but they were getting paid to cover the delivery truck. I had ins cards and the whole shooting match but the wrong type of commercial policy.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
a2z64

Post by a2z64 »

I understand basic math so I do know that 200 is different than 150. I also realize that there are different types of coverage and different values placed on the vehicle being insured which will result in different rates. The area of the country you live also affects your rates. You have to compare the whole policy. I would still say that an agent who wanted 500 for liability coverage only on Skip's truck is a knucklehead.[/quote]
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Before I went with a collector car insurance provider, I had "recreational vehicle" insurance on my old trucks through my normal insurance agent. I qualified because my 56 or 66 were not my dailly drvers. The RV insurance policy said I could drive the truck 110 days per year, any 110 days not just April till November coverage. If I drove it EVERY Saturday and Sunday, that would only total 104 days (52 weeks/year X 2 days/week). If you are unsure about using the specialty companies like Hagerty, Grundy, and Condo and Skelley, consult your agent to see if this might be a possibilty for you.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Thanks for all the great info guys...my biggest problem is my truck will be my daily driver. I would love to get full insurance on it as if it was worth $25,000. That is the kind of insurance I am interested in. Any other suggestions?
Doug
Riverside, CA