Finally getting around to swapping my roof and need tips

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61ford

Finally getting around to swapping my roof and need tips

Post by 61ford »

im finally getting to swapping out my roof and i started measuring and how do you get it to work out to make a straight line thru the b pillar. i started at 8 5/8 at the back window and measured 8 5/8 at the door and that side must lean back some bc 8 5/8 is lower at the door than back window. i took a piece of tape and thought i could come off the back window and make a straight line that way and that didnt work? any suggestions
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

There was an episode of "Muscle Car" on Horsepower TV where they swapped a roof on a Buick - same idea and some good hints. I am sure you can finds it on line (I think I posted it here once quite awile ago?).
I personally would leave the inside corner pieces intact either in the new roof or on the old pillars and just drill out the spot welds. If you haven't yet removed the glass it and it's seal will help line things up (I have a corner to replace on the 64 and will do this).
You could use the factory seams and starting pints for the measurements also - better than trying to find the center of a curved section. Making a card template from the seam to the cut will help too - better than trying to use a tape measure.
No matter what you do you won't get it perfect on the first try - going to take some patience.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I would make the swap using the original seam lines, although I saw one that was changed and not all the original roof was removed along the front. They just put the new roof over the old one ou don't say why you are replacing the roof, so I'm asking if it is becaus of roof damage or rust? If because of damage of someone standing on it( quite common ) then I would be concerned about the centersd brace being pushed down when damage was done.

Rich
61ford

Post by 61ford »

replacing bc of rust. but heres the problem i found tonite the window is in a different placement between a uni and the 64 cab its coming off of. meaning theres more metal at the top on the 64 but ive seen 64 roofs on unis so im trying to figure out how this is all gonna work looks like im going to have to cut it underneath the window and place the whole 64 top on it which id rather not do bc of distorision when welding
Ryan

351w/Aod
61ford

Post by 61ford »

you got any pics of how you ended up fixing it?
Ryan

351w/Aod
jecsd1

Post by jecsd1 »

I ended cutting around the rear window frame on the top. You are correct. There was some variation in the placement of the rear window. The uni's are set higher. Cut around it and take your time welding and you wont warp it
61ford

Post by 61ford »

i looked at it today looks like ill have to cut em both there where they sit down on the back of the cab and weld all the way across the back looks like alot of fun
Ryan

351w/Aod
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I forgot you have a Uni.
The replacement roof is from a Uni also?
If so that's what I would do, cut it off just above the bed rail/roof seam, drill out the spot welds and clamp/rosette weld the new one back on.
Cut reweld the A pillar at the factory seam.
I'd leave the doors on in this case so you can match the gap at the top just to double check.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
61ford

Post by 61ford »

no the replacement roof is from a 64 thats why i got the window/ b pillar prob and ive gotta go atleast thru the window just above my window is where all my problems are it was rusted out and i didnt know how to weld plus using flux core i distorted it pretty bad
Ryan

351w/Aod