So, What's the Matter with Low-Ballers

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: So, What's the Matter with Low-Ballers

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i got several slicks and other vehicles by being a low-baller.
i just called on the phone without even going to see and made an offer telling them if they did not find any takers i would be happy to give them X dollars and remove it when i came to pay and get the title.
mind you not all were running but still parts is parts.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Your preaching to the choir , at this guy :mrgreen:
If they can get $2500 ... I'm happy for them...
But if you can't sell it.... My offer of $750 stands....
'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I still lowball them and tell them it's a standing offer for xx days or hours. I've gotten some great deals doing that, also got yelled at, hung up on, cussed out and threatened. It's all good, make that lowball offer, what can they do but hang up or yell at you. Just because they tell you they won't listen to them doesn't mean they won't.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

the answer to the post title is "Crossing high fences" :P
Macon ACE
United States of America

Post by Macon ACE »

foodstick wrote:the answer to the post title is "Crossing high fences" :P
LOL!
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

usually they don't mind a low baller if you have cash in hand. Green rectangular bucks usually have that effect.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

i just went to look at a horse trailer for my daughter last night, they were asking $2,000 ... I whipped out $1800 in hundred dollar bills and well daughter has a horse trailer now.. i never pay full price...
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

The truth is, if it sells for a "low-ball" offer, it wasn't low-ball because they couldn't get any more for it. That's what it is worth.
Perceived value and actual value are often two different things. Stubbornness and ignorance can exist on either side. The seller might want too much and won't listen to reasonable offers. The buyer may be a true low-baller and offer far less than it is worth and also won't listen to reason . It's important to know what you want (buyer) or what you have (seller).
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

My slick was a craigslist low ball offer.

I always low ball in person, In my opinion its even ruder to call up and low ball with out looking at it first, maybe its poorly photographed or described.

My slick was listed at $4000. One picture not much of a description. I liked it but said no way its not worth that.
Waited two weeks or so and when the seller lowered the price to $3000 I called him up. I went and looked at it, pointed out a bunch of good stuff, and also pointed out a few bad things.

Then my wife actually low balled him.. I thought that was funny.. he countered and it was where we were ok with it so we bought it.

The dude probably could have gotten three if he had taken the time to buff the paint. I spent a half a day hand buffing with McGuire's ultimate compound and it shined up nicely. It went from caterpillar yellow to school bus yellow. I removed a lot of dead paint.
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Guy who I bought my long-gone '66 Suburban from was asking $2500. It barely ran, the wiring was a fire waiting to happen, the brakes hardly worked (I adjusted them on the spot), there was half a yard of pea-gravel in the rear, and he wanted to keep the original license plates.

After I drove it, I explained everything wrong with the truck and showed him $900 in cash. He balked, so I walked. He called me 5 minutes after I left and I offered him $800. He flipped out. I hung up and went to for a beer. I hadn't even ordered when he called back and offered me the truck for $900 and said he'd to throw in the plates.

I told him to shovel it out, vacuum it, and get the title. Then, I waited two hours and gave him $800.

I'm not trying to make friends. I'm looking for a fair deal. And a relatively straight pile of GM parts that hardly runs is worth $500-$1000 here in Oregon. If it'd been a longbed 1/2 ton, I'd have held firm at $500.

Thankfully, I bought my Slick off a friend, since I'd have paid exactly $500 for it, which he already knew--it being a relatively straight longbed 1/2 ton pile of Ford parts...
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Oregoon wrote:I'm not trying to make friends. I'm looking for a fair deal
i have to agree with that all the way.
in fact over the past 10 years or so most everyone seems to think their vehicle is made of "rare" gold.
mostly im not impressed with the majority of stuff i see for sale.

on the other side as a seller i cant say lowballers bother me either. i can use the word no.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Brian what has made it tough is all the reality shows on TV,, Oh yes there is still few vehicles worth it,, But some I have seen, well crushing is too good,, most of the time if I am going after a truck and say he wants 2000 and I look at it to be good,,, then I say yes no argument I don't even try ,, see since I see more than most,, I have in the past happen to me where others before me try that garbage on low balling and get the door slammed in my face,, I have actually had 2 yards run me out of the place in NM for reason of low ballers coming through the their door and owners tired of it,,, bought one in Las Vegas last trip advertised for 2300,,, All I did was opened the door and said I take it and plus on that truck had no carpet so there was nice pretty floorboards ,, I have bought so many trucks that most times I don't even look at the other side, or tell Kathy I am buying the truck before I even get out most time I might even be 20' away, the worse one I have seen is Gas Monkey Garage ,, If you only knew what I know on what really goes on behind the closed doors,, but it's fun to watch but shows like that is what is driving price of all vehicles way up,,,
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
DJ Bill

Post by DJ Bill »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:......... the worse one I have seen is Gas Monkey Garage ,, If you only knew what I know on what really goes on behind the closed doors,, but it's fun to watch but shows like that is what is driving price of all vehicles way up,,,
Man you can't leave us hanging like that...do tell!

I've sold quite a few jeeps in my time (actually jeep shaped rust projects) and lowballers just irk me as a seller. I do get over it , however. I don't mind a reasonable offer but the guys who offer you less than scrap value for something with decent parts on it are too greedy for me.

Then again, I am guilty of the same tactic, usually when the seller is already near scrap price. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I have learned it usually isn't worth offering anything to the guys who think their truck is gold and who tell you this repeatedly with tales of ones they saw on Ebay or TV that sold for megabucks.... Usually when I encounter one of these deluded souls I just tell them I don't want to insult them with my offer as I just couldn't buy that truck for what they are asking, and walk away. :roll:
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

1.) Dude watches too much TV. Knew where a car was and thought he could build them better than Gas monkey (got over his head)or is hoping Gas monkey will call him and over pay for it, (had to buy tires to get it home)like they do a lot on TV. Counts Kustoms out of Lost wages seems to always pay way more than I would.
2.) same as the first guy, but has been low balled a few times and is starting to realize it's not worth what he's asking.
3.) Trying to recoupe the Money he over spent on purchase plus his shipping. He doesn't know what he has. I can almost guarantee you that trans isn't all syncro'd. 1 gear wouldn't be below R if it was syncro'd. Cool project at maybe half the price and that's if he finds a sucker like he was.
4.) This one isn't too far off the mark. It has title I bet he fin ds a buyer at $1000. If it was all there not missing the grill or glass and interior parts I could see $1500.
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

What's the deal with the passenger side exhaust manifold on that craigslist ad? Looks like something bolts to it.. turbo?
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

I've been lowballed numerous times, and I offer a cheerful "no thanks." If they persist, I explain that while I appreciate their continued interest, I'm loooking for something a whole lot closer to my asking price.

Sucks when they flag you though. But, I can repost as easily as they can flag.

Luckily, that rarely happens because I tend to value my stuff appropriately.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

Doc Pepper wrote:I started to cry and wet my pants
Wow, a multi tasker... (sorry Doc, I couldn't help myself :lol: )
"One Test Result is Worth One Thousand Expert Opinions" - Werner von Braun