Yes another Crownvic/Uni 88 and 62

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rickairmedic

Yes another Crownvic/Uni 88 and 62

Post by rickairmedic »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if this will work :D. My plan is to pull the entire wiring harness out of the body of the Vic then remove the body . I will be using as much Vic as possible and selling off or scrapping whats left :D.Lance you need these tires and rims I have a set of 18" Bullits comming for me if the girl will ever get them off her car :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
rickairmedic

Re: Yes another Crownvic/Uni 88 and 62

Post by rickairmedic »

LOL they will be slow at first thats an older shot of the truck before I made the mistake of hiding it in the garage soooooooooooooo now I have to find it again . I hope to start pulling uni from uni chassis by next weekend and just listed the Vic on craigslist for selling off the parts I dont want . The Vic was a 2 owner low milage cream puff when I got it :D.

Rick
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Now while those mags are nice, and I could live with them.. I am not sure people quite understand and appreciate the fine wine that is a dented set of 87 crown vic hubcaps...

Come on, its all there ...slits, shiny stuff, some paint...crown vic emblem in the center.. and dents of course...

its gonna be fun to see yours come along. I wish I had gotten a real clean car like yours, I think the cops thrashed mine a little ;)

You know whats gonna happen, you will drrop that body on that chassis,, and fall, in love with those stock wheels !

there is this real shady guy about 5 blocks from me, drives that identical color car, has the same wheels ;)

going back to the garage, only 10 pm, and its dropped down into the 80's.
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Well I have had 2 hits so far today on the craigslist add for the extra Vic parts we will see what happens . Lance I dont plan to slide the vic chassis under the uni with the stock wheels on it just so that they wont grow on me :D.

Rick
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Rick , I ended up at 8.5 inches at the front of the rocker panels. 10 inches from the bottom of the front bumper to the ground. That is with nobody in the truck.
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Thank you sir :D. Talked to one of the perspective buyers of the Vic body today he does Demo derby and prefers the pre 91 Vic bodies as they were still made with some kind of steel then rather than todays recycled Bud cans :D. He offered me $200.00 for the body and help getting it off :D. I figure if I can clear another $100.00 for the interior and $100.00 for the wheels and tires then I am only into the chassis ,drivetrain and harness for $600.00 :D Spoooooooooooooosed to cool off a little next week so maybe some Vic/Uni time comming up .

Rick
littleguy06

Post by littleguy06 »

Are the older crown vics and grand marqs better or different than the newer ones. i know some folks are useing the 2003+ front end on some builds. I was just wondering which years crown vic would be best for a full frame swap? :D :?:
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Well I know 88 was the first year for the roller motor in the crown vic so I grabbed one . 88 was also one of the last years before airbags started being put in them . The 88 has the same basic fuel injected motor in it as the mustang had . The body and frame itsself didnt change much from 1978 till 1991 , 1992 was the first year for the newer body style and the front clips alot of guys are doing . My way of looking at it is I have a uni with rotted floors , cab mounts and bed floor so it is a perfect candidate for the crown vic chassis swap .Also the 78-91 were full chassis cars as where the newer ones are unibody cars :D.

Rick
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I've often thought those "turbine" wheels would look sweet with a bullet-style centre cap. ;)

To clarify though, 1985 was the first introduction of the roller cam in the HO 5.0, and I believe only some of the standard output 5.0 engines were equipped with a roller cam (I have a 1987 Grand Marquis 5.0 that has one). There are also quite a few differences between them and the HO 5.0 in the Mustang (pistons, heads, cam, firing order, etc.) although the blocks are essentially the same. What is advantageous for the 1988 model is the transmission, as the '88 and up AOD had improved lubrication in the tailshaft.

Also, the full-size Crown Victoria has never been a unibody car. The '03 and up just used the bolt-in aluminum crossmember for weight reduction. They still had a full frame.
samiam56

Post by samiam56 »

I have a 64 short bed I am going to put a Navigator front suspension,the 5.4 32 valve,transmission and the rear suspension. Thats is why I joined this group.
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

I would recommend the 03 up vic subframes to anyone. They are extremely easy to put in and give you power rack and pinion steering and 11" disc brakes. If you are putting a modular engine in it i would definitely recommend it.

With my unibody on the 03 vic sub i put 03 mounts on the 4.6 engine and set it right in since the mount towers are built on the crossmember. the great thing also is that i put 99-04 exhaust manifolds on it and then bolted on a stock 99-04 mustang x pipe. the exhaust cleared and the steering hook up was pretty straight forward.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I'd like to see some movement on this thread ..... :|

seems to be at a standstill ...

rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

LOL Lance ole buddy so would I so would I fall is a commin and I will slow down . I am still neck deep in HVAC system installs and I aint bitchin as every dollar extra gets me .10 cents more slick fundage :D.

Rick
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Ok sooooooooooo is it considered good or bad when you find a Uni while cleaning your garage :D.

Ok Lance Game on front clip comes off this week . Body off the chassis next weekend and chassis is already sold :D.

Rick
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I get worried when the truck has been hidden that long in the garage and you didn't even get the FOR SALE wiped off the window yet ;)

It will be fun to see some progress.
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Yeah I guess its about time I scrape that off the windshield :D. Geeeesh I had to break out the razor scraper on it they painted it on the windshield :shock: .

Rick
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Well neighbor helped me lift the front clip off tonight and I also went and picked up some wheels and tires :D . Rims are Marsh racing technologies 15 X 8 and 15 X 10 with 265/50/15's for fronts and 295/50/15's for the backs . I made sure to get a couple decent shots of the front cab mounts ROFLMAO and also one of the um uh engine mounts :D.

Rick
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

You know, in all honesty

Nothing pleases me more than seeing you make some headway. heaven knows you have been around the club, and involved on the forums right from the start.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I was in Louisville last Friday, you should have waved!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

LOL SPark ya shoulda PM'd me for my phone number I coulda had the front clip off last weekend :D.

I called the guy I am selling the chassis to yesterday and told him it would be ready to go next weekend ( he was thrilled as he had lost my number) and his new front axle is ready at Sids so he REALLY needs the chassis so he can send Sid the front axle core .

My next trick is buying an engine hoist or borrowing my neighbors ( will have to make that decision in the next few days ) .

Planning to lift the body up and set it on a stack of concrete blocks with 2 4X4's across the front and rear . I will lift one end at a time and set the blocks 2 wide crosshatched and 3 or 4 high and run the pair of 4 X 4's across then lift the other end and repeat .

Rick