radiator core support.......1965 F100 HELP!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

TroyPilcher
United States of America

radiator core support.......1965 F100 HELP!

Post by TroyPilcher »

Ok I think my core support is too far gone to spend the time and money on repairing.....MAC's, LMC claim they have a re-pop, but the part number is clearly from a 66. Anyone have any advice on which way I should go? I heard battery mount is different and also where the core attaches to the fender could be an issue. HELP!!!

Troy from Illinois
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Re: radiator core support.......1965 F100 HELP!

Post by MadMaxetc »

65 and 66 are the same.

61-64 are different. the 65-66 support can me modified to work on a 61-64.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The LMC support listed as a '65 is not, IMO. The welded-on brackets for the inner fenders are for the earlier inners. Just finished modifying one for a '66; it has an aftermarket radiator, so we removed the vertical supports and trimmed the fender supports to re-use the old bolted-on pieces. I suspect this application is actually for the '61/'64 regardless of the part number. The ironic part is that the one being replaced also came from LMC several years ago, and was listed as, and appears to be, a '66 application.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
TroyPilcher
United States of America

Post by TroyPilcher »

Sorry Paul Im a rookie...IMO?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

In My Opinion; IMO. The part number on the box and invoice was as ordered, leading me to believe it is erroneous. The earlier replacement was listed as a '66, this one was listed as a '65.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

I still have my notes on this subject when I replaced my '66 core support with a '64 repop, so I will share what I have. I do not know about the ones being sold as repops for '65 and '66, those were not available when I replaced mine. I suspect they are actually improperly modified '64s, but I have no definite information to back that up.
With all respect to those who have responded, the '65 and '66 are not the same. They can be made to work, but it isn't that simple. Check my gallery for pictures of the differences between the '65 and '66 I took when I had parts trucks side by side.
'65 - Has extension brackets for the radiator just as found on the '64 core supports. These extend into the engine compartment from the backside of the core support. The radiator's support flanges are on the backside of the radiator, and bolt to these extensions. The battery tray also bolts to the side of the extension brackets for additional support.
'66 - The backside of the core support is flat; extension brackets for the radiator were not continued for '66. (This makes the '65 and the '66 unique, with the '66 being the most radically different from the '64.) The radiator support flanges are on the front of the radiator, and bolt directly to the backside of the core support. The battery tray bolts to the core support only.

'65and '66 core supports have angled inner fender support brackets. The '64 has rounded. The repop I received had rounded inner fender supports; I removed them and installed the original angled ones.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by banjopicker66 on October 3, 2013, 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The LMC core support is as Banjo described. It appears they added the vertical supports ala the '65's and some angled spot-welded fender brackets, which do not fit the '66 inners, to what they previously sold as a '64 support.
It is workable, but by the time we modified it and welded up the tears from removing the brackets from the thin metal; it would have been more cost and time effective to have repaired the old support.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

To my knowledge all the repro supports are made to 61-64 specs. I don't care what the box says.

Here's a how-to from "that other site" showing what needs to be done to make them work on a 65-66,
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1023253-how-to-convert-the-reproduction-core-support-for-66-use.html

I personally think it's worth doing. The repro ones are quite nice, and trying to fix the bottom where it's contoured is a real PITA. New steel is much more pleasant to work with.

Or, you can see if Tom has a Arizona original available. Price will be about the same as new.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
stswartz
United States of America

Post by stswartz »

One thing i learned from my core support change out on a 65 with 240cid 6cyl. The replacement core supports are made for V8 as the mounting point for the radiator is a few inches closer to the firewall than the factory setup for the 6cyl. The factor 6cyl radiator mounted flush to the core support due to the length difference between the 6 and 8 cyl engines. I wanted to reuse my 6 cyl radiator because i had already spent $300 dollars having it rebuilt. I solved the problem by having the radiator shop reversing the mounting brackets on the 6 cyl radiator and had enough clearance with the 8 cyl core support and the 6cyl engine.

Hopefully not too confusing of an explanation
Steve