Camper Special??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

6Slick5

Camper Special??

Post by 6Slick5 »

Hi All...

I am going to look at a 66 tomorrow. The lady tells me that they bought it in 1970 and it had a camper on the back of it until recently. 69,000 miles, they used it to go to the lake in the summer time. The lake is about 14 miles from where they live.

It is supposed to be a F-100, did they make a Camper Special F-100?

It has wide wheels in the back, are they factory?

352 with an automatic, what kind of mpg kind I expect? My 65 has a 300 with three speed and gets 17 or so.

Any inputs?

Thanks
Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
65 Karmen Ghia (Son's Car)
Iron Horse Bicycle, trying to save some gas money!
DCarr

Post by DCarr »

Nice truck-definitely worth a look. V8/auto won't do as well as your 6/man. Keep us posted.
Tune For Maximum Smoke ___________________________________ 64 F100 Longsmoothie 65 Mustang Fastback
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Interesting truck looks in good shape. Looks like it still has the old school bias tires on it.
Tom Williams
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Nice looking truck. Keep us posted.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Marty,

That is one fine looking 66 to me! :thumright: woohoo.gif

Yep, FoMoCo did offer a Camper Special (CS) F-100. It would of had "split rim" wheels all around, so those rear wheels must be from some other truck.

I'd also guess that the side mirrors are from a '67-newer truck.

Since it also appears to be a Custom Cab; so I'm thinking it should of had a chrome front bumper..... but I may be wrong on the bumper.
There are smarter guys that frequent this site that will 'set me straight' if I'm wrong (as I would expect them to do)!

We'll expect a full report after you get a chance for a closer inspection and drive it. Keep us posted on your progress! ........ Good Luck!

BarnieTrk :cheers:
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

The lady told me that the tires are weather checked bad. They do look like bias ply's in the pictures. She says it has been repainted once in its life about 12 years ago by her son. Her son owns a body shop in the same town she lives in. She is selling because her husband passed away and doesn't need it any more.

If it is as rust free underneath like she says it is, it may just follow me home.

She says the only things she knows that is wrong with it is the transmission leaks and it has an exhaust leak at the manifold.

We will see.

Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Those wheels may be stock. The tire and chassis option determined the wheels and split rims were not standard on any model. There were several different wheel and tire options depending on chassis GVRW and the Camper Special package could be ordered on any GVWR chassis so you could get any wheel Ford offered depending on how it was built. Hawkrod
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

12 year old paint job........ WOW... it's been inside for most of that time, for sure!
Marty, ya NEED to take it for a drive!

Hawkrod,
Thanks for clarifying my mumblings. Split-rim wheels were part of the heavier suspension packages, but NOT a part of the CS package. So, regardless of what suspension package you ordered, you'd get the same type of wheels on all four corners, correct? However, in this case it appears to me that this truck has split-rims in the front but one-piece wheels in the rear........ and it wouldn't be OEM equipped that way, would it?

Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I would think that it would have definitely had matching rims on all four corners from the factory. About the only factory Fords I'm aware of that came with wider rims in the rear were the 'Super Camper Special" Dentside trucks.
The gentleman who passed away probably upgraded to wider rubber for better stability with the camper. Just my best "Slickitis" guess on the matter. :lol:

Oh & Custom Cabs could be ordered with chrome or painted front bumpers...grilles too, for that matter. It's really hard to nail down a true "package" when dealing with the CC options.
I originally thought that the CC package automatically got all the shiny stuff, but I've seen many through the years that definitely weren't born that way. I'm pretty sure a buyer could add or delete pretty much anything on the list when he was ordering his new truck. :)

This one looks like it's a beauty, I hope you bring it home. :mrgreen:
BTW you guys, I also spy an argent front valance (stone shield). :P
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

6slick5
The split rims tell me that it is an F250. Pull a hubcap and I'll bet there are 8 lugs not 5. I believe a Camper Special was a F250. No matter what if you have the money to buy it you will not be sorry you did. The rim on the rear appears to be a 16.5 diameter rim.
Keep us posted and good luck.
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

That is a very nice looking truck - I'd buy it in a - "hoofbeat". BTW How you been Marty?
Last edited by Greg D on November 15, 2008, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
foghorn

Post by foghorn »

Well ford made the camper special in the f-100 till 67 or 68 this was the last of the half ton cs trucks. you can research this over on fordification for sure. I know that question has been asked many a time there. Heck when i joined that forum i figured after 30 yrs as a bodyman i knew a lot about these old trucks. But such was not the case. Who says you cant teach a old dog new tricks huh... As for gas milage try around 10 if its a f-250 even my 1970 f-100 didnt get any better than 11 with 250 gears in the back. That truck had 350 gears to start with. She was my DD at the time and i was trying to improve the milage by changing gears. It took me a 1/4 tank of gas to go on a 50 mile round trip.

Foggy 8)
STOFFER
United States of America

Post by STOFFER »

I have a '66 F-100 that is a camper special it has factory overload springs in the rear and the camper special insert in the fender badges

what color is the interior? it looks good a nebraska truck of that year

I miss my slicks
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

oldtrucks wrote:6slick5
The split rims tell me that it is an F250. Pull a hubcap and I'll bet there are 8 lugs not 5. I believe a Camper Special was a F250. No matter what if you have the money to buy it you will not be sorry you did. The rim on the rear appears to be a 16.5 diameter rim.
Keep us posted and good luck.
There are split rims for 5 lugs amazingly enough. They are not common anymore but they used to be. Hawkrod
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

BarnieTrk wrote:12 year old paint job........ WOW... it's been inside for most of that time, for sure!
Marty, ya NEED to take it for a drive!

Hawkrod,
Thanks for clarifying my mumblings. Split-rim wheels were part of the heavier suspension packages, but NOT a part of the CS package. So, regardless of what suspension package you ordered, you'd get the same type of wheels on all four corners, correct? However, in this case it appears to me that this truck has split-rims in the front but one-piece wheels in the rear........ and it wouldn't be OEM equipped that way, would it?

You are correct, they would have all been solid or split rim, not mixed. There were about 6 or 8 different rims for an F100 in the mid 60's ranging from 15 X 4.5 to 17.5 X 5 with several 16's in the mix as well. I think the widest is a 6.5. Now that I look at the picture though, I think that rear rim may be an 8 or more so I was probably wrong saying that it may be stock. Hawkrod
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

One of my buddy's trucks was a F100 CS 5 lug truck. First one I had seen with a 2 pc driveshaft. Can anyone tell me if Ford installed those hooks on the side of the bed or not? I have them on my farm truck and they look to have been there since day one but I didn't think they would have been factory till I started noticing them on a few other slicks. :dontknow:
foghorn

Post by foghorn »

Unifan as far as i know the hooks are after market i might be wrong but i wouldnt think so.

Foggy 8)
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

foghorn wrote:Unifan as far as i know the hooks are after market i might be wrong but i wouldnt think so.

Foggy 8)
think they are a dealer item, have had several trucks with hooks.they all appear to be 40+ years old.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

Went to look at it. The lady told me that there was no rust underneath. Yea right, cab mounts, radiator core support, a few spots in the bed. I was only going to get it if it was really as clean as the pictures. Well pictures lie! The paint is all cracked, must be lacquer. She is asking $2750, she has such good memories of the truck that I didn't even want to offer the $1500 that I thought was a fair price.

Oh Well I wasn't looking for another truck, but couldn't pass up the chance at a really clean one. This just wasn't it.

Have Fun!
Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
DCarr

Post by DCarr »

:( :( :( :( :( Maybe next time-keep searching.
Tune For Maximum Smoke ___________________________________ 64 F100 Longsmoothie 65 Mustang Fastback